More Complex Sample App Required

Posted by Andrew Savini on 20-Jul-2017 21:02

Hi,

Is there any plan to create a more complex sample application? All the demos are currently single page grids and/or forms incorporating 1-2 tables, that are essentially just testing the generation of controls. They don't seem to relate in any way to a more standard OE LOB app, which is where my company (and I assume many others) are planning to migrate from. I have concerns that may be alleviated if there was a proper example of what a LOB app could look like, incorporating 5-10 tables (or more).

At the moment the demos are too simple, and there's no tab structure that might define a workflow of say a customer grid driving multiple "pages" (hidden or dynamic div content for a single page app) of connected data such as invoices, jobs, calendars, etc. The only way i can see doing this currently is by placing many controls in a single page (which we would need to heavily control so that the content for each grid/form isn't reloaded on change of the parent customer), or by using the native tabbing of the browser (cumbersome with a poor UX).

Is anyone at Telerik/Progress working on a better LOB sample app that we can reference for larger migrations?

Andrew

Posted by maura on 21-Jul-2017 08:32

Hi Andrew,

Edsel Garcia and I are currently scoping out what sample apps we will be building and  publishing for KUIB 2.0. So your posting is very timely, and yes, a more complex sample as you describe will be extremely beneficial.

Shelley Chase (and other team members) presented a demo at the last PUG, which, we are planning on publishing as well.

We will update communities once sample apps are made public.

Maura

All Replies

Posted by maura on 21-Jul-2017 08:32

Hi Andrew,

Edsel Garcia and I are currently scoping out what sample apps we will be building and  publishing for KUIB 2.0. So your posting is very timely, and yes, a more complex sample as you describe will be extremely beneficial.

Shelley Chase (and other team members) presented a demo at the last PUG, which, we are planning on publishing as well.

We will update communities once sample apps are made public.

Maura

Posted by Andrew Savini on 23-Jul-2017 16:54

Okay great; I'm looking forward to it.

Andrew

Posted by slegian-bva on 23-Jul-2017 17:41

Hi Maura,

If you are in "scoping" mode, one suggestion I passed on to Rob Straight at the APJ conf in Sydney last week was for Progress to use KUIB for a BPM portal replacement. This would give you a real world scenario to work with rather than just play and would also help the BPM product (more services and a welcome refresh to the aging portal).

Cheers,

Simi

Posted by Andrew Savini on 23-Jul-2017 19:57

Hi Simi,

My concern with this idea is that the scope for replacing the BPM portal would require a larger and more refined solution, increasing the amount of time to get a credible sample out to the community. Additionally once complete, the proprietary code is unlikely to get released in its current form, requiring further development time. I agree that by Progress using the KUIB in one of their own applications they will be working within the same constraints as their customers, and I'm keen to know how they would tweak their design around things that we currently perceive as limitations.

We really do need a good example ASAP; we've been hearing about this product for a while now (through marketing, beta and release), but we just can't envisage its usage for a detailed LOB app.

Andrew

This thread is closed