SQL Syntax

Posted by Giorgi Kviraia on 21-Jun-2017 09:11

All Replies

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 21-Jun-2017 09:14

Can you share some of the SQL statements you tried to execute and the resulting error for each?

Posted by Giorgi Kviraia on 21-Jun-2017 09:34

UPDATE PUB.Client;

UPDATE TABLE STATISTICS AND INDEX STATISTICS AND ALL COLUMN STATISTICS FOR PUB.Client

UPDATE ALL COLUMN STATISTIC FOR PUB.Client;

UPDATE NDEX STATISTICS AND ALL COLUMN STATISTICS FOR PUB.Client;

i want to update any row in entire table.

INSERT INTO PUB.Client (CLientNum, Name ......)

VALUES(??????????????) i want to take user input at this line.

DELETE FROM Pub.Client

i have not tryed it much, when previous 2 failed;

exception says syntax error mostly or progress openedge jdbc driver has failed and been shut down to prevent memory leak problem.

SELECT clause works fines. SELECT * From PUB.Client

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 21-Jun-2017 10:22

Hi Gorgi,

>> UPDATE PUB.Client;

This statement is not valid.  As per the SQL Reference manual, the correct syntax is this...

UPDATE table_name SET assignment, assignment, .... WHERE search_condition;

An example, change every record in sports2000.customer so that the balance field is 12345...

UPDATE PUB.Customer SET Balance = 12345;

>> UPDATE TABLE STATISTICS AND INDEX STATISTICS AND ALL COLUMN STATISTICS FOR PUB.Client

This should work.  Send the error information you got back.

>> UPDATE NDEX STATISTICS AND ALL COLUMN STATISTICS FOR PUB.Client;

The word INDEX is not spelled correctly.

>> want to update any row in entire table.

>> INSERT INTO PUB.Client (CLientNum, Name ......)

>> VALUES(??????????????) i want to take user input at this line.

This -> i want to take user input at this line  <- is not possible in SQL.  SQL is a language for dealing with data, it is not a language for user interaction.  To do this you need to write code in whatever language you use to prompt for the values then pass them to the VALUES() phrase of the INSERT statement.

>> DELETE FROM Pub.Client

This is valid syntax for deleting all records in a table.  Please provide the error information that was returned.

I also strongly recommend that you intall the offline PDF documentation then read the SQL Reference manual.

Thanks, Brian

Posted by bbrennan on 21-Jun-2017 10:30

There is a bigger issue at play here.  There is a lack of documentation on how to manipulate data from within KUIB whether it be SQL based or OE based.  For someone just getting started with single page web applications after years of OE development, the transition is quite difficult in the current state.

Bob Brennan

Posted by Shelley Chase on 21-Jun-2017 11:18

Hi Bob,

Agreed. The best we have now is to use the built in views as "samples" of how to work with the data on the client side. Since the code is in the templates you would need to look at the source files after generating the web app. We also have samples on github github.com/.../kendo-ui-builder-samples.

We are working on white papers explaining the new project structure on 2.0 (due out mid-July) and best practices for the client side extensions.

Posted by Giorgi Kviraia on 21-Jun-2017 12:31

Hi Brian

UPDATE PUB.Client not valid <-- roger that

example to change every record in sports database looks logical. one issue I don't want to set value, I ant to allow user to set value. is there a work around like generic wildcard?  UPDATE Pub.Customer Set balance = ?, name=?, salary=? city=? and so on.

">> UPDATE TABLE STATISTICS AND INDEX STATISTICS AND ALL COLUMN STATISTICS FOR PUB.Client

This should work.  Send the error information you got back."  

unfortunately while executing this line i have not had any report for a while. around 10 minutes later error message compile d, saying, "driver shutdown, preventing memory leak problem"

>> INSERT INTO PUB.Client (CLientNum, Name ......)

>> VALUES(??????????????) i want to take user input at this line.

This -> i want to take user input at this line  <- is not possible in SQL.  SQL is a language for dealing with data, it is not a language for user interaction.  To do this you need to write code in whatever language you use to prompt for the values then pass them to the VALUES() phrase of the INSERT statement.

Roger that as well

>> DELETE FROM Pub.Client

This is valid syntax for deleting all records in a table.  Please provide the error information that was returned.

I also strongly recommend that you intall the offline PDF documentation then read the SQL Reference manual.

Thanks, Brian

can you provide from where I can get pdf?

I will send error logs tomorrow.

currently im trying to use OE database in JSP dynamic web page. before attempting to work with EO Data i have tried to work with normal SQL queries, to test my code. Code is working.

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 21-Jun-2017 12:40

Hi Giorgi,

You should have access to the PDF documentation in your ESD account (i.e. where you go to download the software you own).  www.progress.com/esd.

Alernatively, online docs are here -> documentation.progress.com/.../index.html

Brian

Posted by Giorgi Kviraia on 23-Jun-2017 02:44

Error msg:

java.sql.SQLFeatureNotSupportedException: [DataDirect][OpenEdge JDBC Driver]Unsupported method: Connection.prepareStatement

at com.ddtek.jdbc.openedgebase.ddb9.b(Unknown Source)

at com.ddtek.jdbc.openedgebase.ddb9.a(Unknown Source)

at com.ddtek.jdbc.openedgebase.ddb8.b(Unknown Source)

at com.ddtek.jdbc.openedgebase.ddb8.a(Unknown Source)

at com.ddtek.jdbc.openedgebase.BaseConnection.prepareStatement(Unknown Source)

at update method

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 23-Jun-2017 04:30

Hi Giorgi,

What is the non-SQL code that generated this error?

Brian

This thread is closed