Authentication in Kendo UI Builder

Posted by Bidhan Sthapit on 20-Nov-2016 22:38

I'm having problem with the authentication in Kendo UI Builder. I have created the REST service in Progress Developer Studio with PAS up and running.

I have followed all the step given in the link below.
https://documentation.progress.com/output/kuib/wflow/index.html#page/workflow%2Fcreating-a-sample-web-app-using-kendo-ui-builder.html%23

Successfully created OrderEntryWebApp using Kendo UI builder and access the data through REST service.
Inline image 1

But I'm still confused how to implement the authentication part. 
Inline image 2
I want to learn about the detailed workflow of the system. How to validate username and password for the REST service. I want to learn the detailed process about authenticating the user. Please provide me with these materials if available.

Posted by Anil Kumar on 20-Nov-2016 23:56

Hi Bidhan,

Can you please provide more details on problems/issues you are experiencing while configuring/implementing the authentication aspects. Somehow I could not see attachments are in the post. However, following are few details on configuring your web application with respect to PASOE authentication.

As part of the authenticating a Data Object Service or a web application which is deployed to PASOE (or Tomcat) server, we can configure specific service to be either of following authentication modes. Namely:

1.       Anonymous

2.       Basic

3.       Form

By default it uses Anonymous authentication where in no credentials are required and similarly login screen will not be prompted when we run KUIB web app (assuming the data provider in the KUIB environment is using the authentication model as Anonymous)
In order to make a service to be Basic or FORM, please follow below steps
·         Make sure that the web app is deployed properly to PASOE (say oepas1) server. Navigate to web.xml file location
  <OpenEdge Work directory>\oepas1\webapps\<web app name>\WEB-INF
·         Modify the appsecurity XML such that it points to basic (/WEB-INF/oeablSecurity-basic-local.xml)
Note: By default it points to anonymous (/WEB-INF/oeablSecurity-anonymous.xml)
Now all users available in users.properties file (<OpenEdge Work directory>\oepas1\webapps\<web app name>\WEB-INF\users.properties) can access this application at runtime

Additional details: Please follow below KB article to configure OERealm authentication with PASOE
                knowledgebase.progress.com/.../How-to-configure-OERealm-authentication-with-PASOE

Hope this helps.

Thanks and Regards,
Anil Kumar.

All Replies

Posted by Anil Kumar on 20-Nov-2016 23:56

Hi Bidhan,

Can you please provide more details on problems/issues you are experiencing while configuring/implementing the authentication aspects. Somehow I could not see attachments are in the post. However, following are few details on configuring your web application with respect to PASOE authentication.

As part of the authenticating a Data Object Service or a web application which is deployed to PASOE (or Tomcat) server, we can configure specific service to be either of following authentication modes. Namely:

1.       Anonymous

2.       Basic

3.       Form

By default it uses Anonymous authentication where in no credentials are required and similarly login screen will not be prompted when we run KUIB web app (assuming the data provider in the KUIB environment is using the authentication model as Anonymous)
In order to make a service to be Basic or FORM, please follow below steps
·         Make sure that the web app is deployed properly to PASOE (say oepas1) server. Navigate to web.xml file location
  <OpenEdge Work directory>\oepas1\webapps\<web app name>\WEB-INF
·         Modify the appsecurity XML such that it points to basic (/WEB-INF/oeablSecurity-basic-local.xml)
Note: By default it points to anonymous (/WEB-INF/oeablSecurity-anonymous.xml)
Now all users available in users.properties file (<OpenEdge Work directory>\oepas1\webapps\<web app name>\WEB-INF\users.properties) can access this application at runtime

Additional details: Please follow below KB article to configure OERealm authentication with PASOE

Hope this helps.

Thanks and Regards,
Anil Kumar.

Posted by Sanjeva Manchala on 21-Nov-2016 00:06

Hi Bidhan,

In addition to what Anil has mentioned, you need to restart the server to reload the WebApp once you have updated web.xml.

PASOE follows spring security framework as authentication mechanism. Here is the documentation link which provides complete details on all authentication types supported by PASOE.

Thanks,
Sanjeev.

Posted by Apil Koirala on 23-Nov-2016 05:39

Thanks! This is really helpful.

Currently it shows the landing page with modules first and shows the login screen only after I select the module with Authentication option enabled.

How can I display login screen as my first screen instead of landing page?

Thanks in Advance!

Regards,

Apil

Posted by Anil Kumar on 23-Nov-2016 11:00

Hi Apil,

Currently this functionality is not possible. In KUIB, each data provider can have isolated/individual authentication model. Similarly a module (where individual views are rendered) can use multiple data providers via dissimilar views.

We bind login screen is to the data provider and any view which uses authenticated data provider for data retrieval/communication (with backend) prompts for a login screen in runtime.

However, when the concept of SSO is introduced in KUIB which is planned for upcoming version(s) of KUIB, then all data providers will be using same/single authentication and as a result we can bring login screen at the first/main screen instead of landing page.

Hope this helps.

Thanks and Regards,
Anil Kumar.

This thread is closed