Working with REST and Roundtable

Posted by Bo Haslund on 30-Mar-2016 17:33

Hi all,

Are there anyone in the RTB community that has worked with REST interfaces (as described in chapter 5 in "Progress® Developer Studio for OpenEdge® Online Help") in connection with Roundtable. I think what I need to include in RTB is a WAR file, but can the creation/definition and maintainance of the REST be seamless integerated into RTB?

We work with OE 11.6.1 and RTB 11.5.2

Best regards,

Bo

All Replies

Posted by WinningJr on 30-Mar-2016 18:43

I've not found a way.   I'm not even certain what files are involved to start thinking about versioning the "defined services".  For now, I've created a non-RTB REST Devel workspace completely separate from our RTB project/workspace.  It has just the defined services and business entities, with the propath pointing to our RTB devel workspace for includes, etc.  I put as little code in the BEs as possible, using them as wrappers to our other code.  I periodically zip up the entire workspace and save it in a file system as a "version".

I also copy the BEs over and check them into our normal RTB workspace using the same directory structure as in the REST only workspace.  The Devel appservers point to that directory, so it is not really possible to "forget" to copy them over.

Versioning the .war file is not a bad idea.  Then you know you can go back to a previous "version" of the deployed app. Of course, it does not contain the BEs, nor can you rebuild the defined services from them (so all your mappings in the defined services are lost).

I plan on scheduling time with Jeff at the PUG challenge to really go over it all.  He has some thoughts on features in RTB Team that check out "more" than a single object/file.

-Gerry

Posted by Jeff Ledbetter on 31-Mar-2016 07:53

Bo,

Unfortunately, the way PSC has implemented their REST services is a bit of a pain for Roundtable TSMS to manage as their REST projects contain not just the ABL code but all the additional dependencies one would need to deploy the REST service as well.  This also forces you into a specific project structure. I'm not sure why they want you to have all these different project "types". It would have made sense for them to create a REST Deployment wizard instead.

"He has some thoughts on features in RTB Team that check out "more" than a single object/file."

Gerry,

Roudtable Team is project based (like other team providers for Eclipse). The whole project is checked-in/checked-out. Changed resources are synchronized. Those are my thoughts. It's not that complex really.

Posted by Bo Haslund on 05-Apr-2016 14:20

Hi Jeff and Gerry,

Thanks for the fast response, sorry that I'm so late to response back.

I had off course hope for a "super solution" :-)

Jeff --> Do you have an idea about request to Progress to have another, more deployment friendly way to implement REST services . It must be a pain ita for anyone using REST services and want to deploy, not just RTB.

My problem here an now is that my knowledge is low around the REST. But I want to push on all resources we (Mark Information) have with Progress.

Posted by Bo Haslund on 05-Apr-2016 14:28

Gerry, your answer is btw. really useful :-)

//Bo

This thread is closed