XREF for OOABL

Posted by Richard.thompson on 22-Mar-2016 07:39

Fellow Engineers of the Roundtable,

Greetings.

So my quick build process uses the rtb_hist table to get a list of objects that have changed since the last full build and by using rtb_xref I can find any .cls, .p and .w that need to be included in the build for any updated .I files.  What I am not finding is where I can xref the use of any .cls objects that have changed and because of that other .cls, p, and w files need to be included in the build.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Richard 

All Replies

Posted by Jeff Ledbetter on 22-Mar-2016 07:46

My questions(s) would be:

Why are you trying to reinvent incremental deployments? What is your ultimate goal?

Posted by Richard.thompson on 22-Mar-2016 19:12

Jeff,

While we do have a custom deployment tool this is more related to our custom build process.  Here is problem and the solution we are using:

The application is nearly 40,000 objects; just over 20,000 compile as .w, .p, and .cls files.  A single threaded compile takes hours.  Because of this time investment the team tends to avoid a full build.  This results in code changes breaking the application.

Our build process is now mult-threaded; we use as many cores as we have available on the servers.  I hand off the job to what we call compile agents for them to compile their little slice of the application.  For a file system stored on the serve we have the full compile down to 8 min, network drive file systems take about 2.5 times as long.

What we have designed now is an incremental build that only considers for the build any changes to the application since the last full build (nightly).  The candidates for incremental build are all modified .w, .p, and .cls named objects and any compile object affected by a change to an include file.

Our goal is to have the incremental build take just a few seconds (okay maybe a minute) to encourage the developers and gatekeepers to build more frequently.

My concern with this plan is that while I have verified confidence that I can find all .p, .w, and .cls affected by an include file change or a schema change I am not confident I can find all the object affected by a change to a .cls.

Thus my question to the group is offered.

Posted by Jeff Ledbetter on 23-Mar-2016 07:51

Richard, can you please contact me directly with regards to this? Thanks.

This thread is closed