automation/ant/build_rtb_release.xml tweaked to mail release

Posted by cverbiest on 16-Dec-2015 02:49

Can be a personal preference, I changed the release notes mailing to show the release notes and attach the log.

The release notes are more interesting for most product managers. Could be a problem for large releases but I intend to run this at least weekly

change in automation/ant/build_rtb_release.xml.

<!-- make sure that if the property has not been set for some reason, that we set it to blank - so that the mail below does not fail -->
        <property name="RtbReleaseReport" value="" />

<if>
            <istrue value="${RtbReleaseMailResult}" />
            <then>
                <!--
                <loadfile property="BuildLogContent" srcFile="${BuildLogDir}/${BuildLogFilename}" failonerror="false" />
                -->
                <loadfile property="RtbReleaseReport.txt" srcFile="${RtbReleaseReport}" />
                <sendMail mail.user="${MailUser}"
                          mail.password="${MailUserPassword}"
                          mail.host.server="${MailHostServer}"
                          mail.host.port="${MailHostPort}"
                          mail.subject="${input.RtbReleaseWspaceId} - Release results"
                          mail.from.address="${MailFromAddress}"
                          mail.to.address="${MailToAddress}"
                          mail.enable.start.tls="${MailHostEnableStartTLS}"
                          mail.ssl="${MailUseSSL}"
                          mail.message="A release build was run in workspace ${input.RtbReleaseWspaceId}: ${start.DSTAMP} ${start.TSTAMP}:${LF}${RtbReleaseReport.txt}"
                          mail.files="${BuildLogDir}/${BuildLogFilename}" />
            </then>
        </if>

All Replies

Posted by asthomas on 16-Dec-2015 03:00

Yeah - that would be a personal preference. We show some of the reports like this.

Maybe we should make this a property you set so that you don't need to change the script code to turn this on or off.  

Posted by cverbiest on 16-Dec-2015 03:09

A property could be useful, but I  probably will want to influence the subject and body as well.

Another property I find useful for is to have debugPCT="${debugPCT}" on each PCTRun target, this makes debugging easier

Posted by cverbiest on 22-Dec-2015 07:56

Hi Thomas,

I think there are two types of mail for release/import/... targets.

One is a mail with the build result, this shows the logging of the job ,

the other is a mail with the result of the job i.e. a release report, an import table report, ...

The intended audience for both mails is different.

The first mails is for the person who automates/monitors the process.  If you use jenkins to run the jobs you can consult the build logging and will probably not need that in a mail.

The second is for the developers/product managers using the system, they will want to know which tasks/objects got released/imported/...

I think it's better to have 2 types of mail which can be turned on/off individually.

Posted by asthomas on 07-Jan-2016 07:17

Agreed - we will take a closer look and see what we can come up with.

This thread is closed