Changing data area structure on a 3rd party Progress App

Posted by FrankHilhorst on 13-Sep-2019 16:01

Hi Guys,

I am dealing with a 3rd party Progress App for which we only have r-code.

The database that comes with this app has the following characteristics:

• Type 2 storage
    • However there is only one data area (area 7) with 1 volume that has grown to 62 GIG

So for obvious reasons and the tables (800 in total) should be re-organized into different data areas.

I have a couple of questions:

• If we move tables to separate areas would that requires a recompile of the r-code?
  • Can you point me to a good document to derive a good approach from for grouping tables into separate areas?

Your input would be very much appreciated for this.

Posted by James Palmer on 13-Sep-2019 16:08

This will not affect CRC, so you won't need a recompile (although testing is still a very good idea!)

You can get all fancy with the distributions, and you may get some benefits, but a 62GB database isn't that big. You will get most benefit from splitting tables, indexes and LOBs into separate areas.

If you do want to do some separation, then split off your busiest tables into one area, put the indexes for those tables into another area, and then stick your remaining tables into an area with the indexes again separate.

All Replies

Posted by James Palmer on 13-Sep-2019 16:08

This will not affect CRC, so you won't need a recompile (although testing is still a very good idea!)

You can get all fancy with the distributions, and you may get some benefits, but a 62GB database isn't that big. You will get most benefit from splitting tables, indexes and LOBs into separate areas.

If you do want to do some separation, then split off your busiest tables into one area, put the indexes for those tables into another area, and then stick your remaining tables into an area with the indexes again separate.

This thread is closed