Licensing Openedge Progress and VMware ESXi

Posted by oxipiratic on 06-Jul-2015 09:36

Good morning!

Somebody can help me with a question:

In which cases or scenaries I need to buy a license of OpenEdge Replication using VMware ESXi without data replication?

Thanks!

Posted by Libor Laubacher on 06-Jul-2015 10:16

> However, we have VMware ESXi to move OpenEdge Progress from failed host to another

You mean you have vSphere HA to move the VM with OpenEdge (app/db) in case of ESX host failure ?

> In this case, must we buy a licensing of OpenEdge Replication or OpenEdge Disaster Recovery?

If the question is about "must", then I think none. Provided there is only 1 OE install and that VM runs only once.

If you have an "application" cluster (eg 2 VMs with OE install) then you would need DR license.

With regards OE Replication, unless you plan to use it, you don't need it.

All Replies

Posted by Libor Laubacher on 06-Jul-2015 09:43

Not sure I understand the question.

You need to buy OE Replication when you want/will be using OpenEdge Replication.

Like if you want to use AppServer you need to buy the AppServer license.

Please clarify your question.

Posted by oxipiratic on 06-Jul-2015 09:54

We have a cluster environment that contain 2 physical hosts and 1 storage without any kind of data replication!

When the first physical server fails, we need to restart this VM to another physical host. Is the same thing that we had a physical problem in a processor or memory and is necessary to shutdown the host to replace the device. However, we have VMware ESXi to move OpenEdge Progress from failed host to another. Our question is about licensing. In this case, must we buy a licensing of OpenEdge Replication or OpenEdge Disaster Recovery?

Posted by Libor Laubacher on 06-Jul-2015 10:16

> However, we have VMware ESXi to move OpenEdge Progress from failed host to another

You mean you have vSphere HA to move the VM with OpenEdge (app/db) in case of ESX host failure ?

> In this case, must we buy a licensing of OpenEdge Replication or OpenEdge Disaster Recovery?

If the question is about "must", then I think none. Provided there is only 1 OE install and that VM runs only once.

If you have an "application" cluster (eg 2 VMs with OE install) then you would need DR license.

With regards OE Replication, unless you plan to use it, you don't need it.

Posted by oxipiratic on 08-Jul-2015 05:37

Yes, we have vSphere Essentials Plus with HA to move the VM to another host in case of physical failure of the main host. We don't have FT implemented and working on the environment! When the first host gets down, we need to restart all the VM's in another host. This way, we have a stop and not continuity of the OpenEdge either DB or APP.

Posted by Libor Laubacher on 08-Jul-2015 05:48

> When the first host gets down, we need to restart all the VM's in another host.

The HA should do that for you automatically, ie restart VM on another host

So what is your question here? The only feature which will prevent from an unwanted shutdown is FT (from vSphere side).

You can also implement OE Failover cluster (for db) and NameServer load Balancing to minimize the downtime, but still if the VM or host where the VM is goes down, there will be (however brief) business disruption as the clients would need to reconnect. You can also have OE replication (source and target database and do transition), but also clients would need to reconnect (and you would need a license)

Posted by oxipiratic on 08-Jul-2015 08:01

But can I keep working without buy these licenses of products without be in non conformity with Progress?

Posted by Libor Laubacher on 08-Jul-2015 08:14

I don't understand the question, I am afraid.

You can keep working as you are working now. I guess the question I should ask is - do you want to change anything on your environment or do you want to keep working as you have now? If the latter, there is no extra license you need (as mentioned in one of my first posts here).

Posted by oxipiratic on 08-Jul-2015 08:26

Sorry for maybe I didn't explain the right way. I just want to keep working as I have now, without implement nothing. Now I know that I'm in conformity with Progress in this point.

Thanks for your answers Libor!

This thread is closed