Script of the PUG Time session - hosted by the German PUG

Posted by Admin on 15-Sep-2009 11:23

I've been asked to post the history of the PUG Time session hosted by the German PUG on PSDN, so here we go.
Thanks to everybody who participated for an entertaining session.
M. Fechner - Consultingwerk Ltd.:
Welcome to the first round in the PUG Time sessions, hosted by the German PUG. I'm Mike Fechner, member of the board of the German PUG, responsible for the content of our regular meetings. Please feel free to ask questions on anything related the PUG and Progress or our upcoming meeting on Nov. 3rd and 4th in Cologne.
Willkommen zur ersten Runde der PUG Time Sessions im Rahmen der Exchange Online 2009. Mein Name ist Mike Fechner - Mitglied im Vorstand der PUG und für die inhaltliche Gestaltung unserer halbjährlichen Konferenzen verantwortlich. Unsere nächste Veranstaltung wird in Kooperation mit der Progress Software GmbH am 03. und 04. November in Köln stattfinden.
Our regulare meetings provide an excellent opportunity keep up to date with latest Progress technology, trends, best practices and general IT trends. Furthermore networking is always a key aspect of every meeting.
T. Mercer-Hursh - Computing Integrity, Inc.:
I see we have a very talkative crowd here today ... perhaps no one can get the interface to respond ...
L. Woodard - Allegro:
Hi everyone
J. Palmer - CAL Software:
Ok easy question - what is the format of a PUG meeting?
We are happy to Welcome Peter Judge "live on stage" during our next meeting, presenting on OpenEdge adoption and migration strategies, especially GUI for .NET.
Usually a one to two day meeting with presentations from our members, Progress Software representatives and international independent speakers. Presentations are between 30 and 60 minutes in length.
... and of course a highlight is usually our evening event.
We travell throughout Germany with our meetings to make it easy enough for new people to join the community.
How big is the Progress market in Germany?
@TMH: I can't complain about the responsiveness of the system here
Format varies a lot by PUG.  I have been to sessions crowded in a small room with a PowerPoint, but the Ontario PUG has been doing some interesting WebEx sessions with multiple speakers.
L. Woodard - Allegro:
Yes, ours along the East Coast (VA, NC, Florida) have WebEx sometimes as well
L. Woodard - Allegro:
its just more convenient sometimes that way
Size of the German Progress market: I'm not prepared with numbers. Our PUG meetings are usually attended by between 35 and 60 people.
This time we are preparing a second track (premiere) to provide and alternative offering to Sonic Software users. We are about to change our name for Progress Users Group to Progress Software Users Group as an indication
for the additional focus.
We haven't yet considerd an online conference. We fell very confident with the face-to-face contact.
Face to face it very nice ... as we can see here. The plus of the WebEx is a larger audience, both within the region and potentially beyond.
Anybody from Germany around? I'm sure the non German speaking readers would understand if we partly switch to German.
***:
P. Magnay - Progress Software has joined the chat
Well then a question from my end: How well does the cooperation between PUGs and PSC work elsewhere? What are you achieving together?
I went to a great German restaurant Friday, soon to be opening right here in Point Richmond.
And what's on their menu? Eisbein and Sauerkraut? Did they at least serve some good German wine?
Currywurst more likely
***: P. Magnay - Progress Software has joined the chat
:-)
From what I have heard, the support from PSC has fallen off drastically  since the RIF. 
***: K. Aspindle - Progress has joined the chat
RIF?
L. Woodard - Allegro:
There hasn't been much interaction at all
RIF = Reduction in Force, i.e., layoffs. 
We had breads with herbed butter, potato pancakes, chicken schnitzel, and strudel.  We brought our own wine so I had a Washington Riesling and a Zin, but there was lots of German wines at other tables.
I'd love to find a good German restaurant in the UK - particularly one that does Spätzle
G. QUERRET - Riverside Software:
Sorry for off topic (german food), but is there a way to see the lounge chat history ?
You may scroll up. And actuall copy the history to the clipboard.
I get only the last four sentences
Guilles: I've received your mail. Sorry - I haven't been able to respond yet.
T. Bascom - White Star Software:
There seems to be a fairly small limit on the history contained in the scroll buffer.
The only history is what you can see scrolling back.  No recording, even for the host.
... your own wine? Where's the fun in going to an international restaurant and drinking a more or less regional wine?
No problem Mike, take care of it later
Sounds interesting - so much I can already say.
great
Thomas: Is your session with John exactly in this format?
The restaurant is not open yet, so they don't dare serve any alcohol.  We will try their wine selections when we go back after it opens.  But, some WA Riesling are credible.  Haven't had a good domestic Spatlese though.
I can hardly see your long and usually great arguments in this editor....
Yes, John and I will be battling with this interface.
I don't know which browsers you are using, but IE8 perfectly copies everythin from the history to Word.
My original opening statement would scroll right off the top ... if I could even paste it in.
I'd provide the opening posting on PSDN...
Folks, thanks for the chat. Looks like theres another session starting here soon.
It's just the first sentence in the history is "I went to a german restaurant..." from thomas
I don't think it was the first sentence of this session !
would you like me to send you the whole session?
Isn't Mike posting it on PSDN ?
gimme a second.
R. Straight - Progress Software:
We are now transitioning to the AppServer and Integration Info Exchange- Welcome!

All Replies

This thread is closed