Script of PUG session - hosted by Wisconsin PUG

Posted by TdeV on 16-Sep-2009 11:46

S. Blaubach - App Technologies, Inc.:
Welcome to the second round in the PUG Time sessions, hosted by the Wisconsin PUG.  I'm Scott Blaubach, President of the Wisconsin PUG.  Please feel free to ask any Progress PUG related questions.
Are any of you not currently involved in a PUG?
L. Woodard - Allegro:
Hi Scott, I'm with Allegro and we lead several along the East Coast - I see several of our members are here
L. Woodard - Allegro:
Hello to everyone!
For those of you who participate in a PUG, do you have any recommendations for presentations that have been especially helpful that might be of interest to other PUGs?
T. Mercer-Hursh - Computing Integrity, Inc.:
Or presentations that you haven't had, but would really like?
J. Brock - Keystone Systems:
I really enjoyed the last one we had which included a talk about how Progress chooses indexes
I'd like to hear more about performance related issues
A. Venter - QBCon:
where can we find the one on indexes ??
L. Woodard - Allegro:
ok, we'll keep that in mind.  We'd lke to hear about potential topics for our fall meeting
Progress Software is providing Mike Jacobs to present at the Wisconsin PUG Oct 20th and the Chicago PUG Oct 21st to talk about WebServices and OpenEdge Auditing. 
To find out about what's happening at your local PUG, go to communities.progress.com and click the PSDN link.
Under "Shortcuts & Discussions, More..." click the "Progress Users Groups" link.
Under "Regional PUGs" you will find the worldwide regional PUG links which contain links describing the local PUGs available in the selected region.
Have any of your PUG groups used the WebEx format for presentations?  How effective do you rate this format?
L. Woodard - Allegro:
We do use them sometimes and they usually are received okay by members. its not realy the same but its okay for most members.
We do use them sometimes and they usually are received okay by members. its not realy the same but its okay for most members.
The Ontario PUG seemed very happy with their combination of in person for those that could plus WebEx for remote.  It also opens the option for speakers at lower cost.
T. de Valence - BSTW:
What do you mean by "not the same"?
L. Woodard - Allegro:
Well, it's just easier to interact and ask questions w/  a speaker onsite vs. on a pc. we get more questions after live presentations vs. the web ones
I think the WebEx is good for supplementing.  I found that Progress is always open to providing "live" presenters which helps attract members.  Wisconsin has a typical attendance of 30-40 people.
T. de Valence - BSTW:
How far do you find people are willing to travel to a live PUG?
The Wisconsin PUG meeting is in the Milwaukee area, but we have attendees who drive 1-2+ hours.
L. Woodard - Allegro:
The same - D.C. and Northern VA - have to drive about 1-2 hours to get anywhere even five miles away... N.C. and Florida members will drive a long distance sometimes as well
T. de Valence - BSTW:
When you have people driving 2+ hours to join a PUG, how long is the PUG?
L. Woodard - Allegro:
four hours - begins at lunchtime and ends by 5 or so
On topics, there seems to be a spread from topics appropriate to many releases (indexes) to topics that are trendy (SaaS).  Where is the primary interest from the typical PUG audience on this spectrum?
4:00 pm - 7:00 pm
T. de Valence - BSTW:
It sounds to me as though you require a pretty-strong commitment from your PUG members, for all that driving. What percentage of the total attendance does that much driving?
Approx 15%
L. Woodard - Allegro:
yeah just 10-15%, more are closer than 2 hours away
What percentage of Progress users attend PUGs?
T. de Valence - BSTW:
Who are your typical attendees?
% of Progress users attend PUGS? ... I don't know what percentage that would be.
L. Woodard - Allegro:
What do the members want to discuss? 
Typical attendees ... DBAs, Developers, managers ... quite a variety of individuals which makes topic selection a challenge at times.
L. Woodard - Allegro:
a blend like that and some indep. consultants
T. de Valence - BSTW:
How often do you have PUGs and what percentage of the same attendees attend each PUG
Most US PUGs meet 3-4 times a year.
T. de Valence - BSTW:
How many of your attendees are repeat visitors?
A. Burley - UKMail (Business Post Group PLC):
wonder whether there would be support for monthly business breakfasts of similar in large cities
For WI PUG, the majority are repeat
L. Woodard - Allegro:
1-2 a year, and many attend both fall and spring meetings
L. Woodard - Allegro:
mostly the same, some new people hear about us via the PEG or from colleagues
We are out of time. Thanks for participating in the PUG Time.  Please remember to visit communities.progress.com following the PSDN link to find out more information on the PUGs.  Additional PUG Time will be available tomorrow at 11:00 CST.

All Replies

This thread is closed