Prorest taking more time now.

Posted by rajshaw68 on 25-Feb-2013 07:17

How much time prorest utility should ideally take to restore a backup volume of 2GB? I am using Openedge 10.2a. It was taking 2 minutes on an average earlier but now it is taking 3-4 minutes.

All Replies

Posted by Admin on 25-Feb-2013 07:26

There are so many factors that may influence this... Disk fragmentation may be one of them.

Posted by robw@hltool.com on 25-Feb-2013 07:36

What has changed, if anything? Restoring at a different time of day? Perhaps restoring in peak time now where before was idle time?

Give as much detail as possible.

Posted by rajshaw68 on 25-Feb-2013 07:36

Could you please tell the other reasons also? And Ideally how much time prorest should take to restore a backup volume of 2 GB if every thing is ok? 

Posted by Admin on 25-Feb-2013 07:41

What kind of hardware do you have? What kind of disks especially.

Any network involved during prorest?

You need to provide details if you want others to help you.

Posted by Admin on 25-Feb-2013 07:51

A reputable DBA sitting accross me right now says that on well maintained modern hardware restoring 2 GB should only take few seconds.

Posted by gus on 25-Feb-2013 09:48

I was not aware that there are reputable DBA's.

Posted by Admin on 25-Feb-2013 10:16

That's true

Posted by Rob Fitzpatrick on 26-Feb-2013 19:47

This could also be impacted by the way you probkup the source database.  If it is a probkup online or probkup -norecover then you are also backing up the BI file.  If the BI has grown recently, e.g. due to long-running transactions, then that could result in a larger backup file and longer restore time.

Has the size of your backup files increased in the same timeframe as the prorest slowdown?  Also, have a look at the system.  Are any new/large batch batch jobs or cron jobs running during the prorest window?  Is the DB on shared storage like a SAN or NAS, where some other application's or server's workload could impact performance?

This thread is closed