Progress / QAD Career Dilemma

Posted by Admin on 14-Sep-2013 14:30

Hello All,
I am highly seasoned Progress / QAD IT Person with over 20 years starting with version 6 and currently working with  open edge . As you can imagine i am in my very early 50's and have been loosing a lot of sleep and having anxiety over the rest of my career for quite some time now. It's well known that the scope for these skills are very limited and especially in USA where i reside. Apart from these skills  i have BI  implementation expertise and PMP certification from PMI.
Part of my anxiety is also due to the fact that any other IT person i meet from outside the QAD/Progress world have not heard of PROGRESS RDBMS and would not like to do anything with it. Also heard about people who worked in PROGRESS before have switched to other areas based on companies migrating to other ERP like SAP or learning skills like .NET.
Working with 4GL my sql skill are not that of an expert and hesitate to get into a full SQL environment. I do want to stick with ERP / Business Applications and BI along with this would be great.
I would like to get your opinion on what skills should i concentrate on getting in the current situation. Would shifting to Oracle ERP at this stage make sense ???
Please help me get over my anxiety so that i can sleep better.
Thanks in advance for any feedback.

All Replies

Posted by ChUIMonster on 18-Sep-2013 16:06

I'd hate for people to think this wasn't answered...  it's just that the conversation took place in a different forum:

http://www.progresstalk.com/threads/qad-progress-career-dilemma.122147/

This thread is closed