PAS instance (11.7) does not appear in the Explorer connecti

Posted by kuhles on 02-Oct-2019 12:20

I created a new Progress Application Server in a 11.7 explorer. i was able to start the instance but i noticed that the Version tab = UNKNOWN. 

I tried to create a server via the Developer Studio. I connected the explorer on the IDE. this is the error i get 

The selected OpenEdge Explorer connection must be configured with at least one local Progress Application Server for OpenEdge (11.7).

What is want to do is deploy my paar files with Publishing via the developer studio instead of doing in manually via the REST section in the ROOT section of the instance which is currently shaded out.

P.S : the OpenEdge installation is on a virtual box

fathom is running

the admin server is running

I also went to the instance configurations and tried to test the tomcat connections

i get 

i have already changed my tomcat-users.xml

Posted by dbeavon on 04-Oct-2019 12:44

You have to deploy those webapps.

You have always been able to do that from the proenv command line.  See this KB for an example of doing it that way.

https://knowledgebase.progress.com/articles/Article/OEManager-is-not-installed-during-tcman-create

... but the "easy" way to deploy from OEE has changed a little in OE 11.7.  First of all I would highly recommend clearing your web browser cache if you had used the same browser to access the prior version of OEE in 11.7.6.  (The user interface has changed over time, but the cache may pull resources from the earlier version of OEE, and that creates a total confusing mess because in OE 11.7 the OEE console has been redesigned .)

Next find the web apps tab and deploy the pre-packaged web-apps from $DLC here: C:\Progress\OpenEdge\servers\pasoe\extras

(Screenshot)

Typically we deploy both manager.war and oemanager.war.  Those are the ones that we use the most.  Hope this is clear.  Good luck.

All Replies

Posted by dbeavon on 02-Oct-2019 13:12

The version = UNKNOWN thing is not good and normally means there is a problem.

I would stop everything, delete the log files for your instance, turn up your agent logging levels and then restart.   You should be able to find KB's for all these things.

The PASOE instance logs are the most important place to go when PASOE is behaving unexpectedly.

For every ABL app there is normally a "session manager" log file and an "agent" log file.  Those are the ones to scrutinize.

Are you hosting PASOE in windows or linux?  On windows you should ensure that everything is running with a consistent account that has local admin.  Eg. if you start admin server you will find it in task manager running as "local system".  Then start your PASOE from OEE and it should also run as "local sytem".

Another thing to try is just creating a fresh PASOE instance using the tcman command with different port numbers - then see if it works any better than the current one.

Something might have gone amiss.  The good news is that if you can get another fresh instance running successfully then you can probably look in the conf directory and compare the configuration of the old and new ones in the openedge.properties file.

Posted by kuhles on 04-Oct-2019 09:51

What i have noticed(different from 11.6) in  11.7 when creating an instance using the explorer it does not deploy the tomcat manager and oemanager files so when trying to test my connection i get a 403 access denied.

I have even tried installing a separate tomcat but it also gets 403 access denied when trying to access the manager or oemanager or status. setting the tomcat-users.xml or context.xml didn't help. 

Posted by dbeavon on 04-Oct-2019 12:44

You have to deploy those webapps.

You have always been able to do that from the proenv command line.  See this KB for an example of doing it that way.

https://knowledgebase.progress.com/articles/Article/OEManager-is-not-installed-during-tcman-create

... but the "easy" way to deploy from OEE has changed a little in OE 11.7.  First of all I would highly recommend clearing your web browser cache if you had used the same browser to access the prior version of OEE in 11.7.6.  (The user interface has changed over time, but the cache may pull resources from the earlier version of OEE, and that creates a total confusing mess because in OE 11.7 the OEE console has been redesigned .)

Next find the web apps tab and deploy the pre-packaged web-apps from $DLC here: C:\Progress\OpenEdge\servers\pasoe\extras

(Screenshot)

Typically we deploy both manager.war and oemanager.war.  Those are the ones that we use the most.  Hope this is clear.  Good luck.

Posted by dbeavon on 04-Oct-2019 13:01

..oops I meant the prior version is 11.6.  

Also, I realize now that the "UNKNOWN" status that you were seeing before is probably just an indication that you had not deployed oemanager yet.    This is probably not actually a "critical" problem after all, only an inconvenience when you are trying to use the OEE console.

I think that having accurate details (eg. version = "UNKNOWN") about the behavior of PASOE is dependent upon the presence of the "oemanager" webapp.  I've heard that, in theory, you can run PASOE in production without oemanager (***PS) ... but I don't think it would be worth the trouble and I think you would lose a lot of diagnostic and management features.  Out of necessity we have been monitoring agents and sessions and memory usage on a regular basis.  (We are currently working with tech support on our second memory leak support case that involves the current PASOE msagent in 11.7.5)

Good luck, David

*** PS.  For that matter, in theory you might be able to run PASOE without the *entire* adminserver/ubroker framework.  At that point you would lose the OEE console and you'd lose the ability to do messaging via the "generic JMS" adapter.  I doubt many customers would take things that  far.  You might save a bit of memory, but it would cost you quite a lot in terms of diagnostics and management.

Posted by kuhles on 07-Oct-2019 07:26

Hi david thanks alot for the inputs. this works for me after deploying those war files.

Thank you!

Posted by kuhles on 07-Oct-2019 08:02

Hi David, this part of adding a server on the Developer studio still won't go through : it doesn't find that instance.

The selected OpenEdge Explorer connection must be configured with at least one local Progress Application Server for OpenEdge (11.7). 

This time around my Progress Application Server is working just fine 

This thread is closed