Licensing question

Posted by oedev on 09-May-2019 09:31

Customer on 10.2B (will upgrade to 11.x later this year)

Currently, they have x number of Enterprise DB licenses and x number of Client Networking (where x is the same number). The license type is Registered Client. Our application runs client server.

We want to deploy a webspeed based back-end for use via mobile apps, as these are known users and will use specific devices I assume I will need "Progress OpenEdge Application Server Basic Edition" for "Registered Device" ? So if there are 10 mobile devices in operation I will require 10 licenses?

As the users using the mobile apps will be the same users using our desktop based application, will further additional database licenses be required or not?

Thanks 

All Replies

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 13-May-2019 21:08

Since I have no direct experience with Registered Client, I was hoping someone would leap in here and respond, but that doesn't seem to be happening, so I will take a stab.  The idea behind Registered Client is that you license N defined "end points", i.e., devices which you use to connect to the database.  This is most advantageous in an environment where multiple people use a single device, e.g., a terminal in a warehouse used by many people to get orders and input picks.  So, I suppose the first question one might ask is to verify that this is your understanding too and that this is the license model most appropriate to your circumstances.

As for the AppServer, I think you have it correctly, i.e., just like the other licenses, 10 physical devices = 10 user license, regardless of the number of people that might use them.

As for the database, my expectation would be that since you will then have X+10 physical devices in the new setup, you will need X+10 users in your database license.

Posted by Paul Koufalis on 13-May-2019 22:43

If TMH's assumptions are correct, then his answer is likely also correct. With licensing, the devil is in the details.

However, if the application and mobile users are x humans (you defined x in your original post), then you may not need x+10 EntDB licenses if you choose to convert your Reg'd device licenses to named users, with the caveat being that a named user cannot use the product in two places at the same time. Which kinda makes sense for a human...

Why AppServer Basic and not Enterprise? See here: knowledgebase.progress.com/.../P98258

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 14-May-2019 14:06

Indeed, Paul, this was the intent of my first question ... is registered client the best license?

Posted by oedev on 15-May-2019 11:59

Thanks for the input.

The registered client is the best option for our customer, who operate in a retail environment so a EPOS terminal may be shared by more than one staff member.

Posted by Patty Haversat on 16-May-2019 20:22

If the Mobile users are the same as the Client/server users, and they are connecting to the same database, then you will not require additional licenses.  The Registered Client/Device license is a multi-server model (as is the Named-user Model), so if you're using virtualization, clustering, SAN, etc and have the database on multiple servers, there is no problem as long as you have all of the devices/users licensed.   If you have further questions, please reach out to your sales representative, and we will answer any licensing questions that you might have.  

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 17-May-2019 14:28

Why?  If Registered Client is licensing the endpoint, why isn't this 10 more endpoints?

This thread is closed