Source Management Solution : Deployment / Build / Technical

Posted by bulletproof on 20-Apr-2017 09:41

Hi,

I would like to know which tools exists to manage Progress source codes for an application, and which software/solution are you using ?

Especially about :
- Source code technical impact analysis coverage on source code ;
- Packaging tool ;
- Deployment tool ;
- Build tool ;
- Repository (SVN) ;
- Development validation workflow tool ;
- etc.
And how to integrate all these tools together ?

More specifically, how to address these kind of issues :
- packaging management / technical impact => eg. : I deploy 10 programs, somebody else deploy 5 programs, how to detect the links / dependencies /impact ? (avoid mismatch parameters errors when a program’s parameters are modified but not the other ones who called it) ;
- best practices to manage an huge number of source codes objects (over 10 000) ;
- tool to detect technical impact related to source code dependencies .

What I would like to know is especially if there are some "standard solution" and / or already existing product on the market to achieve these actions for a Progress application.

If you have anything from what you use in your company or what you know (even if you use in-house tooling), please let me know.

Thanks in advance :)

All Replies

Posted by Jeff Ledbetter on 20-Apr-2017 09:57

We (and hundreds of OE shops world-wide) use Roundtable TSMS:

www.roundtable-software.com/.../

Instead of a code-motel, Roundtable TSMS is complete Software Configuration Management solution for OpenEdge development. It is integrated with OE Studio and Progress Developers Studio, and includes:

1. Version control (code and schema)

2. Task management

3. Schema management

4. Deployment tools

5. Impact analysis

6. Smart compilation

.. and other cool stuff with even cooler stuff on the horizon.

We also have an integration toolkit that allows you to hook into Jenkins to automate some of the processes.

It is written in ABL and allows for integration via event hooks and APIs written in the ABL.

Posted by bulletproof on 21-Apr-2017 04:37

Hi,

Thanks Jeff for the answer.

In fact, we (team I am working in) are already using a customized RoundTable, mainly for check-out  and as a GUI (not the eclipse plugin) for accessing source code.

Currently, we must put all our source codes into a SVN (mandatory) in replacement / in addition for RoundTable .

So, in fact we are looking for a new way to manage source code  (current way is no more suitable) with SVN, which can be  the use of other tools or maybe a better use of Roundtable (with SVN).

I am interested in "Impact Analysis" and the "integration toolkit that allows you to hook into Jenkins to automate some of the processes" features of Roundtable you mentioned. And  if it is possible to use RoundTable with SVN.

Could you please explain a little bit more or share a documentation / presentation of these ?

Thanks in advance.

Posted by Jeff Ledbetter on 21-Apr-2017 07:07

Hi.

Can you contact me offline?

jeff.ledbetter@roundtable-software.com

Thanks.

Posted by Mike Fechner on 21-Apr-2017 07:12

Hey Jeff, others are curious too ...

Sent from Nine