Source Management Solution : Deployment / Build / Technical

Posted by bulletproof on 20-Apr-2017 09:41

Hi,

I would like to know which tools exists to manage Progress source codes for an application, and which software/solution are you using ?

Especially about :
- Source code technical impact analysis coverage on source code ;
- Packaging tool ;
- Deployment tool ;
- Build tool ;
- Repository (SVN) ;
- Development validation workflow tool ;
- etc.
And how to integrate all these tools together ?

More specifically, how to address these kind of issues :
- packaging management / technical impact => eg. : I deploy 10 programs, somebody else deploy 5 programs, how to detect the links / dependencies /impact ? (avoid mismatch parameters errors when a program’s parameters are modified but not the other ones who called it) ;
- best practices to manage an huge number of source codes objects (over 10 000) ; 
- tool to detect technical impact related to source code dependencies .

What I would like to know is especially if there are some "standard solution" and / or already existing product on the market to achieve these actions for a Progress application.

If you have anything from what you use in your company or what you know (even if you use in-house tooling), please let me know.

Thanks in advance :)

All Replies

Posted by Jeff Ledbetter on 20-Apr-2017 09:57

We (and hundreds of OE shops world-wide) use Roundtable TSMS:

www.roundtable-software.com/.../

Instead of a code-motel, Roundtable TSMS is complete Software Configuration Management solution for OpenEdge development. It is integrated with OE Studio and Progress Developers Studio, and includes:

1. Version control (code and schema)

2. Task management

3. Schema management

4. Deployment tools

5. Impact analysis

6. Smart compilation

.. and other cool stuff with even cooler stuff on the horizon.

We also have an integration toolkit that allows you to hook into Jenkins to automate some of the processes.

It is written in ABL and allows for integration via event hooks and APIs written in the ABL.

Posted by bulletproof on 21-Apr-2017 04:37

Hi,

Thanks Jeff for the answer.

In fact, we (team I am working in) are already using a customized RoundTable, mainly for check-out  and as a GUI (not the eclipse plugin) for accessing source code.

Currently, we must put all our source codes into a SVN (mandatory) in replacement / in addition for RoundTable .

So, in fact we are looking for a new way to manage source code  (current way is no more suitable) with SVN, which can be  the use of other tools or maybe a better use of Roundtable (with SVN).

I am interested in "Impact Analysis" and the "integration toolkit that allows you to hook into Jenkins to automate some of the processes" features of Roundtable you mentioned. And  if it is possible to use RoundTable with SVN.

Could you please explain a little bit more or share a documentation / presentation of these ?

Thanks in advance.

Posted by Jeff Ledbetter on 21-Apr-2017 07:07

Hi.

Can you contact me offline?

jeff.ledbetter@roundtable-software.com

Thanks.

Posted by Mike Fechner on 21-Apr-2017 07:12

Hey Jeff, others are curious too ...

Sent from Nine

Von: Jeff Ledbetter <bounce-jeffledbetter@community.progress.com>
Gesendet: 21.04.2017 2:08 nachm.
An: TU.General@community.progress.com
Betreff: RE: [Community Groups - General] Source Management Solution : Deployment / Build / Technical Impact Analysis ?

Update from Progress Community
Jeff Ledbetter

Hi.

Can you contact me offline?

jeff.ledbetter@roundtable-software.com

Thanks.

View online

You received this notification because you subscribed to the forum.  To unsubscribe from only this thread, go here.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

Posted by thunderfoot79 on 21-Apr-2017 07:40

Indeed.

Posted by Jeff Ledbetter on 21-Apr-2017 13:48

Hi.

I suspect that your customized UI is limiting your access to all Roundtable TSMS features. 

Out of the box, Roundtable TSMS provides Cross-reference and Where-used views for your ABL source-code and schema that tell you what Objects related and how they are related. In fact, I don't know of many tools that can provide you with this much information with a single click.

This screenshot (Roundtable TSMS 11.6) is from our plug-in but the same information is available in our GUI client as well.

The Roundtable Automation Toolkit is a framework to integrate Roundtable with Jenkins and provides some pre-built scripts to integrate the two tools with a templates to create your own.

It can be found on our Downloads page:

The documentation resides here:

https://confluence.nodeable.io/display/ARAT

One could use the Roundtable event hooks to replicate data into a third-party code-motel like SVN. The event hook documentation can be found in the rtb_events.p procedure.

A white-paper on using our event hooks and API can be found here:

http://www.roundtable-software.com/roundtable/resource/pdf/wp/HooksAPIforOA.pdf

All Roundtable TSMS documentation can be found here:

http://www.roundtable-software.com/support/documentation/

To discuss your requirements in more detail, please contact me directly. 

Posted by Mike Fechner on 22-Apr-2017 00:52

Thanks, Jeff!
Von: Jeff Ledbetter [mailto:bounce-jeffledbetter@community.progress.com]
Gesendet: Freitag, 21. April 2017 20:50
An: TU.General@community.progress.com
Betreff: RE: [Community Groups - General] Source Management Solution : Deployment / Build / Technical Impact Analysis ?

Update from Progress Community

Hi.

I suspect that your customized UI is limiting your access to all Roundtable TSMS features. 

Out of the box, Roundtable TSMS provides Cross-reference and Where-used views for your ABL source-code and schema that tell you what Objects related and how they are related. In fact, I don't know of many tools that can provide you with this much information with a single click.

This screenshot (Roundtable TSMS 11.6) is from our plug-in but the same information is available in our GUI client as well.

The Roundtable Automation Toolkit is a framework to integrate Roundtable with Jenkins and provides some pre-built scripts to integrate the two tools with a templates to create your own.

It can be found on our Downloads page:

The documentation resides here:

https://confluence.nodeable.io/display/ARAT

One could use the Roundtable event hooks to replicate data into a third-party code-motel like SVN. The event hook documentation can be found in the rtb_events.p procedure.

A white-paper on using our event hooks and API can be found here:

http://www.roundtable-software.com/roundtable/resource/pdf/wp/HooksAPIforOA.pdf

All Roundtable TSMS documentation can be found here:

http://www.roundtable-software.com/support/documentation/

To discuss your requirements in more detail, please contact me directly. 

View online

You received this notification because you subscribed to the forum.  To unsubscribe from only this thread, go here.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

Posted by Riverside Software on 27-Apr-2017 02:39

Good morning,

A bit late here, but you might find interesting information in this continuous integration white paper : community.progress.com/.../1066

Gilles

This thread is closed