Simultaneous browsing of multiple community site pages cause

Posted by Lieven De Foor on 18-Nov-2014 05:52

Hi,

I usually have the habit of opening multiple interesting threads in a separate browser tab (chrome), and afterwards start reading them.

I've noticed that when I'm opening 3+ tabs on the community site, the webserver seems to stop serving me, and I have to wait endlessly, watching a blank page and rotating cursor.

If I do the same browsing using only one tab in Chrome, everything works as it should.

Is the community webserver somehow limiting the maximum number of simultaneous requests/connections to a single client. If so, could this please be increased to a more realistic number than 3?

Thanks!

All Replies

Posted by Lieven De Foor on 18-Nov-2014 05:54

I'm seeing "Waiting for available socket" in the status bar of Chrome, if that can help identify the problem...

Posted by Mike Fechner on 18-Nov-2014 05:57

Never encountered that issue.

Do you know, if that might be an issue with a Proxy server in your office?

Von: Lieven De Foor [mailto:bounce-lievendefoormipsbe@community.progress.com]
Gesendet: Dienstag, 18. November 2014 12:55
An: TU.General@community.progress.com
Betreff: RE: [Community Groups - General] Simultaneous browsing of multiple community site pages causes webserver to stop responding

Reply by Lieven De Foor

I'm seeing "Waiting for available socket" in the status bar of Chrome, if that can help identify the problem...

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

Posted by Lieven De Foor on 18-Nov-2014 06:05

I've never had any issues on other sites, and I tend to use that pattern a lot... (as far as I know we don't use a proxy server either...)

Posted by Jean Richert on 18-Nov-2014 06:10

Hi all,

I have seen "Waiting for available socket" sometimes too... In most of the cases it's when I had more than 5 tabs open on Community. As soon as I closed 1 tab then it went back to normal.

I'll report the issue back to our platform vendor.

Posted by Dileep Dasa on 18-Nov-2014 06:31

I noticed same behavior described by [mention:04e040a388574bee96c841b1935762a5:e9ed411860ed4f2ba0265705b8793d05] .

Web server stops serving me and on blank pages, I can see "Waiting for available socket" message. If you close any of the open loaded tabs, the page(which was blank) loads instantly.

It seems web server is limiting the number of connections

Posted by Lieven De Foor on 18-Nov-2014 07:17

Glad too see I'm not the only one experiencing this... Let's hope for a quick fix.

Meanwhile I'll limit my number of open tabs...

Posted by Jean Richert on 18-Nov-2014 11:47

As I said, I opened a support ticket with our vendor and got the following answer back: " Chrome limits the number of connections made. I've searched and been unable to find a way to increase the number of connections it will make. "...

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 18-Nov-2014 11:51

I'm skeptical ... I'm very sure I have had more than three open at once.

Posted by TheMadDBA on 18-Nov-2014 13:18

I have 5 tabs open in chrome (latest version) for the community site, plus 6 more for other sites right now.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 18-Nov-2014 13:24

I have 6 open on Communities and 60 in all.

Posted by James Palmer on 18-Nov-2014 15:05

Crikey how much memory does that eat?!

James Palmer | Application Developer
Tel: 01253 785103

[collapse]From: Thomas Mercer-Hursh
Sent: ‎18/‎11/‎2014 19:25
To: TU.General@community.progress.com
Subject: RE: [Community Groups - General] Simultaneous browsing of multiple community site pages causes webserver to stop responding

Reply by Thomas Mercer-Hursh

I have 6 open on Communities and 60 in all.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

This email has been scanned for email related threats and delivered safely by Mimecast.
For more information please visit http://www.mimecast.com
[/collapse]

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 18-Nov-2014 15:15

Not as much as Firefox, which kept eating more and more until it crashed.  There aren't always that many, but close.  I just happen to have a bunch of pending research in progress.

This thread is closed