Is there an easy way to replicate a Progress DB schema into

Posted by andrew.may on 26-Aug-2014 06:17

We have Java components that access our Progress DBs via SQL.

To do automated integration testing of our Java components, I would like to be able to create a (very fast) in-memory HSQLDB which had an identical SQL schema to our Progress DB & then load static test data into it. I could then connect our Java components to the test DB & run test suites very quickly.

As our Progress schema changes (& is committed to source control), I would want to be able to automate the production of the HSQLDB.

To do this, I would need a way to automatically generate (from the Progress DB) the SQL commands needed to create the HSQLDB.

i.e. all these statements...

CREATE TABLE FOO (ID NUMERIC PRIMARY KEY, BAR VARCHAR(255));
... etc ...

Is there any Progress functionality that I could use to do this?

All Replies

Posted by Chandra Sekhar on 26-Aug-2014 06:43

Hi,

In OpenEdge we have SQLSchema utility. Using that you can dump SQL schema (DDL statements) from DB.
Please refer OpenEdge documentation to know about SQLSchema utility.

Thanks and Regards,
Chandu

[collapse]
We have Java components that access our Progress DBs via SQL.

To do automated integration testing of our Java components, I would like to be able to create a (very fast) in-memory HSQLDB which had an identical SQL schema to our Progress DB & then load static test data into it. I could then connect our Java components to the test DB & run test suites very quickly.

As our Progress schema changes (& is committed to source control), I would want to be able to automate the production of the HSQLDB.

To do this, I would need a way to automatically generate (from the Progress DB) the SQL commands needed to create the HSQLDB.

i.e. all these statements...

CREATE TABLE FOO (ID NUMERIC PRIMARY KEY, BAR VARCHAR(255));

Is there any Progress functionality that I could use to do this?

Posted by andrew.may on 26-Aug-2014 08:16

Thanks Chandra, that's just what I was hoping for.

I'll give that a go

This thread is closed