Is there an easy way to replicate a Progress DB schema into

Posted by andrew.may on 26-Aug-2014 06:17

We have Java components that access our Progress DBs via SQL.

To do automated integration testing of our Java components, I would like to be able to create a (very fast) in-memory HSQLDB which had an identical SQL schema to our Progress DB & then load static test data into it. I could then connect our Java components to the test DB & run test suites very quickly.

As our Progress schema changes (& is committed to source control), I would want to be able to automate the production of the HSQLDB.

To do this, I would need a way to automatically generate (from the Progress DB) the SQL commands needed to create the HSQLDB.  

i.e. all these statements...

CREATE TABLE FOO (ID NUMERIC PRIMARY KEY, BAR VARCHAR(255));
... etc ...

Is there any Progress functionality that I could use to do this?

All Replies

Posted by Chandra Sekhar on 26-Aug-2014 06:43

Hi,

In OpenEdge we have SQLSchema utility. Using that you can dump SQL schema (DDL statements) from DB.
Please refer OpenEdge documentation to know about SQLSchema utility.

Thanks and Regards,
Chandu

[collapse]
From: andrew.may [mailto:bounce-andrewmay@community.progress.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 4:48 PM
To: TU.General@community.progress.com
Subject: [Technical Users - General] Is there an easy way to replicate a Progress DB schema into an HSQLDB database

Thread created by andrew.may

We have Java components that access our Progress DBs via SQL.

To do automated integration testing of our Java components, I would like to be able to create a (very fast) in-memory HSQLDB which had an identical SQL schema to our Progress DB & then load static test data into it. I could then connect our Java components to the test DB & run test suites very quickly.

As our Progress schema changes (& is committed to source control), I would want to be able to automate the production of the HSQLDB.

To do this, I would need a way to automatically generate (from the Progress DB) the SQL commands needed to create the HSQLDB.  

i.e. all these statements...

CREATE TABLE FOO (ID NUMERIC PRIMARY KEY, BAR VARCHAR(255));
... etc ...

Is there any Progress functionality that I could use to do this?

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

[/collapse]

Posted by andrew.may on 26-Aug-2014 08:16

Thanks Chandra, that's just what I was hoping for.

I'll give that a go

This thread is closed