Licencing Requirements Document

Posted by Paul Koufalis on 23-Jan-2014 10:14

Can anyone point me to a document detailing how each OpenEdge product can be licensed?  I.e. a doc that says "Ent DB is: by cpu, by concurrent, by named..."

I need to find out how NameServer Load Balancer is licensed.

All Replies

Posted by Marv Stone on 23-Jan-2014 10:28

You can find this information on My Progress by going to Departments -> Product Group -> Pricing and Licensing. The direct link is  https://myprogress.progress.com/departments/productgroup/Pages/Pricing-and-Licensing.aspx.

Posted by Mike Fechner on 23-Jan-2014 10:31

Hi Marv, is that link supposed to be accessible by customers?

Posted by Paul Koufalis on 23-Jan-2014 10:33

I don't have access to that link.

Posted by Stefan Marquardt on 24-Jan-2014 09:03

Me too: Your requested host "myprogress.progress.com" could not be resolved by DNS.

I am interested too about licensing of non productive virtual hosts for QC testing.

Posted by Peter Judge on 24-Jan-2014 09:53

The MyProgress site is an internal one. The link was probably erroneously posted here.

-- peter

Posted by Mike Fechner on 24-Jan-2014 09:55

so back to the original question ;-)

Posted by Paul Koufalis on 24-Jan-2014 09:57

The answer I got offine was that you had to be a partner with a price list to get this info.

Posted by Jean Richert on 24-Jan-2014 13:19

Hi all, let me have a look into that one early next week.

I'll keep you posted.

Enjoy your weekend.

Posted by Rob Straight on 27-Jan-2014 07:00

The End User License Agreement has some of this information, but not in the form requested (i.e. the license models available for each product). Progress does not publish this information, and your best bet is to work with your Progress Account Manager.

The NameServer Load Balancer is sold with a per Server/Machine license model. This would include individual cores of a single machine.

Posted by Stefan Marquardt on 28-Jan-2014 09:12

Does anybody thinks to know which licenses are needed for that?

- 1 production server with 75 users

- 1 preproduction server with some of the same 75 users

Every user works in production OR preproduction (QC).

Perhaps there are a few more instances with other branches for QC on the same preproduction server.

Every user is only working with one instance at one time.

Posted by Rob Fitzpatrick on 28-Jan-2014 15:50

Stefan,

The answer is "it depends".  It depends on your licensed products and your license model (and possibly other license attributes) for each product.

Different licensing models (e.g. Named User, Concurrent User, Registered Client, Access Agent, etc. etc.) may be available for only some classifications of users (Standard, Occasional, or Unknown) and not others.  Each model also has its own definition of what a user is and its own user-counting methodology.

It may not be a satisfying answer for you but in short, sometimes you have to count and user and sometimes you don't.  Also, often a given configuration can be licensed in more than one way, and it is as much a business question as a technical one to decide what is right for you.  More info would be required about your situation to provide a better answer.

This thread is closed