Forum Spam

Posted by jackiep on 16-Oct-2013 04:49

Since yesterday, I have been getting email notifications every time a new post has been made.  Hitting the link to stop the thread tells me that I will receive no more in the thread, then the next one arrives.  I have muted some threads a dozen times since yesterday.  I went to Settings and discovered that everything had been switched to notify, so I turned it all off again.  I was warned it might take 10 minutes for the settings to be applied - two hours ago and I'm still getting notifications.  I've done the Manage Subscriptions link and as far as I can tell I don't have any set up, but still the notifications keep coming.  I suspect that something is broken at the Forum?

Posted by Jean Richert on 16-Oct-2013 05:44

Hi guys, I believe we stopped all email notifications until we have managed to do some more cleaning...

Again sorry for the trouble...

Posted by Jean Richert on 17-Oct-2013 13:29

All default Notification emails have been set to OFF for all members/users.

We are about to restart the Notification service within the new 30 minutes or so.

Please go back to your preferred forums and set your Notifications back on.

Our platform also offers a weekly/daily digest for the groups you decided to join.

To set it up, you need click the little gear under your avatar/picture. You’ll then be in your settings.

There is an Email tab where you can set your digest.

Again, sorry for all the undesired emails you received and hope to see you on our Community soon.

All Replies

Posted by hromkes on 16-Oct-2013 04:52

Same here.

Please stop spamming us!

Posted by EDV_Leoben on 16-Oct-2013 04:56

i´ve the same problem.

Posted by Born_K on 16-Oct-2013 05:01

Thumbs down. Stopp spamming us. I think new marketing managers knows how todo things NOT. First the colors, then thoose mails.

Posted by Jean Richert on 16-Oct-2013 05:03

Hi There,

As you probably know, we have switched from the old PSDN forum to a new Community website. As we believe there was still some relevant content in the old PSDN forums, we migrated a good amount of data (docs, forum discussions and users).

Yesterday we switched on the email notifications for our new Community but apparently some of you are getting undesired emails from the Community.

That’s probably due to the migration (users associated to a discussions have their notifications set to ON).

We are very sorry for the possible inconvenience and understand your frustration.

We have escalated this and hopefully we’ll get it fixed in the shortest timeframe possible.

I have also asked if the sender of these notifications could be changed from noreply@progress.com to noreply@community.progress.com so you’ll be able to set email rules.

In the meantime, please find below a couple of small steps you could check that may prevent you getting these undesired notifications.

Login to our Community

On the right side of the screen you'll see your picture/avatar.

Click the little gear

Then go to the very last tab-folder and set your notifications

Forum notification

Also make sure that your “Forum notifications are” ON for the forums you’d like to follow and OFF for others…

To do so, follow the link you received via email and check under Member Option.

Posted by Matti Kiviranta on 16-Oct-2013 05:05

So nice to see that I wasn't the only one.

Time to send some "old fashion" email to our contacts ;).

Posted by Simon de Kraa on 16-Oct-2013 05:06

@jean your solution does not work for me.

Posted by chriselst on 16-Oct-2013 05:09

It is somewhat ironic that by complaining about spam we are increasing the amount of spam.

You can also report your own posts as abusive and rate your own posts.  I've tried reporting myself a number of times in the hope of getting a ban and stopping this madness but no luck so far.

Posted by jackiep on 16-Oct-2013 05:14

I have done all of these things.  It doesn't work.  Similarly the link to stop receiving emails on this subject does not work.  It tells me that the thread has been muted and I will receive no more, then it carries on.  Joining a group sets all subscriptions back to Yes again - I've set them all to No and still it happens.  I wouldn't have taken the step of starting this thread if the usual methods of stopping the madness had worked.

Posted by Simon de Kraa on 16-Oct-2013 05:17

@jean can you disable ALL mail notifications until the issue is fixed please.

Posted by Jean Richert on 16-Oct-2013 05:33

Guys, we are looking at this with the highest priority... As suggested we may have to stop all notifications until this is fixed.

I'll keep you posted.

Posted by Jean Richert on 16-Oct-2013 05:44

Hi guys, I believe we stopped all email notifications until we have managed to do some more cleaning...

Again sorry for the trouble...

Posted by steven.post on 16-Oct-2013 06:12

As an aside, I don't see a link to delete my account.

Posted by Jean Richert on 16-Oct-2013 06:24

Let me go back to the team in charge of our progress-id and I'll let you know.

Posted by Jean Richert on 16-Oct-2013 13:52

Hi guy, a quick update on the notification emails.

As suspected, through the old PSDN forum/docs/data migration process we did, apparently we also set notifications on for each of the old forum posts/threads you have been involved in, in the past. So when we turned the notification emails ON on our new Community, it triggered all these emails you received.

We are planning to run a script that will reset all notifications to OFF. Once that completed, then we will re-enable the Notification emails but you'll then have to go back to your preferred forums and set the notifications back ON if you'd like to receive these, obviously...

As soon as I'll hear more, I'll keep you posted.

Posted by Jean Richert on 17-Oct-2013 13:29

All default Notification emails have been set to OFF for all members/users.

We are about to restart the Notification service within the new 30 minutes or so.

Please go back to your preferred forums and set your Notifications back on.

Our platform also offers a weekly/daily digest for the groups you decided to join.

To set it up, you need click the little gear under your avatar/picture. You’ll then be in your settings.

There is an Email tab where you can set your digest.

Again, sorry for all the undesired emails you received and hope to see you on our Community soon.

This thread is closed