Version 11, WebClient and 32/64 bit Windows

Posted by RichElvin on 30-Sep-2013 08:34

Hi All,

We're looking to upgrade from OE10 to 11 soon (better late then never), we have ChUI and GUI interfaces.

Our GUI uses WebClient.

From WebClient executables download page (http://www.progress.com/support-and-services/support-services/Support%20Guide/webclient-executables):

"The OpenEdge WebClient is available for the 32-bit Windows® Intel® platform only"

Thats fine, we know 32 bit programs can run on 64 bit machines. Most of our GUI clients are on 32 bit but some are on 64.

I also heard recently that versions of OpenEdge greater than 11.1 will only be available in 64 bit (true/baloney???).

So my question...

If our development environment was 64 bit OE11.3 on Windows, can we generate r-code that subsequently runs under 32 bit 11.3 WebClient?

Can anyone point me to any resources that explain the 32 / 64 bit question with regards to OE11?

Many thanks,

Richard Elvin.

All Replies

Posted by Wouter Dupré on 15-Oct-2013 06:45

Hi Richard,

With OpenEdge 11.3, 32-bit and 64-bit r-code are portable. That means you can deploy on any of the two and also run it on any of the two.

As for the availability of 32-bit, there are no short-term plans to remove the 32-bit versions in favor of 64-bit.

I hope this anwers your questions.

Best regards,

Wouter

Wouter Dupré

Sr. Systems Engineer

Progress Software

Posted by Frank Meulblok on 16-Oct-2013 04:34

"I also heard recently that versions of OpenEdge greater than 11.1 will only be available in 64 bit"

There is a grain of truth in this, but not relevant to Windows.

For Unix, over the years we've been phasing out 32-bit OpenEdge versions for Solaris, AIX & Hp-UX. Note that in these cases the OS itself  is no longer avaialble in 32-bit version either.

Also, more details on the r-code compatibility can be found on the KB: http://knowledgebase.progress.com/articles/Article/P124103?q=r-code+compatibility+rules&l=en_US&fs=Search&pn=1

Posted by Peter Mellow on 16-Oct-2013 09:38

R-code compatibility became available starting in 11.0.

This thread is closed