Openedge migrate to windows platform

Posted by Admin on 23-Jun-2009 12:21

We are considering moving from a UNIX platform to a windows one. I would like to know if anyone has any regrets about switching to a windows platform. Have you had any performance issues, database down issues or anything that made you wish you had stayed with UNIX?

Thanks for your comments!

Donna Williams

All Replies

Posted by Admin on 23-Jun-2009 15:26

Conversely, is anyone totally happy they have moved to a windows platform? Or perhaps it doesn't seem to matter which platform you are using.

Thanks for your comments.. If you can't tell from my post - my company is trying to decide which way to go and are looking for a push in some direction.

Posted by kevin_saunders on 24-Jun-2009 03:49

As a consultant I have seen sites using both Windows and Linux/Unix as the backend server. Can't say I have any complaints from either side about the server platform or the stability of Progress/OpenEdge on either. The downside I have seen on some sites that use Windows, is management/bean counters wanting to use the DB server as a domain/exchange/SQL server..

I think an important piece of the puzzle has not been explained: What is the driver behind thinking of moving to a Windows different server platform?

Other questions to ask yourself:

1. How important is uptime (i.e do we need the DB up 24/7)?
  2. What are our in-house skill sets (if we have a Linux admin, is he/she going to have to retrain on Windows Server)?
  3. Cost - not just licensing and support, but training (see 2) and potential platform change fees (Progress product)?

HTH

Posted by jaydalla on 13-Aug-2009 15:12

I had issues in the past where Progress and another application was installed in the same Windows Server. Progress certifies the OS patch level (Service Pack) for their releases. There were times when the certified Service Pack for Progress and the 3rd party application was different and prevented us from taking any updates due to dependency issues. This was resolved by having a dedicated server for Progress.

This thread is closed