Progress/SQL

Posted by Admin on 10-Sep-2009 13:13

Hello:

I'm a newbie to Progress. I just landed this new job here at our company. We're using Progress Version 6 and yes I realize we're a little behind the times. However, I'm trying to construct a query using Progress/SQL and I'm receiving the following error on the following SQL statements:

** Unable to understand after -- "FROM order ord". (247)
**  Line 1 -- Invalid SQL statement. (945)

SELECT ord.ar-entity,ord.order-date,ord.cust-po,ord.order-no,
       ord.qty-shipped
FROM order ord INNER JOIN po ON ord.ar-entity = po.ap-entity
WHERE ord.order-date BETWEEN 03/01/2008 AND 03/03/2008.

I appreciate any assistence you can give.

Regards

Regards

All Replies

Posted by ChUIMonster on 10-Sep-2009 17:17

Suggestion #0...  upgrade.  Version 6 isn't merely ancient, obsolete and unsupported -- it is only of interest to historians and archaeologists.  You're talking about a release that pre-dates Windows.

Suggestion #1...  stop trying to use SQL.  The Progress 4GL is NOT SQL and attempts to pretend that it is are doomed to failure.  The SQL statements in Progress version 6 are SQL 89 and they exist primarily as a marketing checkbox.  Nobody uses them.  Your life is going to be worse than miserable if you insist on trying to use SQL to access a Progress database.  If you really, really, really must use SQL then you desperately need to upgrade to version 10 (known as OpenEdge 10) and use the SQL-92 engine rather than the SQL statements embedded inside the 4GL.

For your query try something like:

FOR EACH ord NO-LOCK WHERE ord.order-date >= 03/01/2008 AND ord.order-date

EACH  po  NO-LOCK WHERE ord.ar-entity = po.ap-entity:

DISPLAY ord.ar-entity ord.order-date ord.cust-po ord.order-no  ord.qty-shipped.

END.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 11-Sep-2009 15:08

SQL doesn't like the hyphens.  Use double quotes e.g., Order."Order-date", not Order.Order-date.

But, good luck doing anything in V6

This thread is closed