Can you embed SQL statements in a Progress procedure in 9.1E

Posted by Admin on 29-Sep-2009 15:46

I'm trying to connect to a MS SQL database in a Progress procedure with SQL.  Is it possible?

Thanks,

MD

All Replies

Posted by Admin on 29-Sep-2009 23:48

I'm trying to connect to a MS SQL database in a Progress procedure with SQL.  Is it possible?

Not directly. Progress has the dataserver products that allow to connect to various SQL databases; in code you'd be running a FOR EACH etc. and the dataserver would translate that to a SQL statement etc.. It's by far not for free...

Another option might be using Microsoft's ADO/DAO COM objects and connect using that channel. I've seen samples for that somewhere, but couldn't find that now.

Posted by Admin on 30-Sep-2009 08:57

Thanks for the response.  I probably should have mentioned that our Progress app (9.1E) is running on a Red Hat Linux server.  Can I update a table in a MS SQL 2008 database on a Windows box with the dataserver product?  Any idea what the cost is for the dataserver products? Are we talking a couple hundred or thousands?

Posted by Admin on 30-Sep-2009 09:00

mdodge schrieb:

Thanks for the response.  I probably should have mentioned that our Progress app (9.1E) is running on a Red Hat Linux server.  Can I update a table in a MS SQL 2008 database on a Windows box with the dataserver product?  Any idea what the cost is for the dataserver products? Are we talking a couple hundred or thousands?

The price is dependent on the number of users. You should discuss the business case with your PSC sales rep - but I guess it's more in the thousands.

Posted by Admin on 30-Sep-2009 09:26

Thanks again.  I'll do that.

Posted by Admin on 30-Sep-2009 09:28

This person says the dataserver cost is based on number of users and could very well be in the thousands. The only way to know for sure is to talk to our local Progress vendor. Should we pursue it?

This thread is closed