Is restoring a 9.1DB in a 10.1E environment possible

Posted by Admin on 01-Oct-2009 08:12

Hi there,

Is restoring a 9.1DB in a 10.1E environment possible without to much of a hussle.

The reason for this idea is that 10.1E has many performance improvements. The only thing I have to do is extract data through ODBC (SQL92). If I can easily restore the 9.1DB in the 10.1E environment, I could possibly leverage 10.1E performance improvements.....

Like to hear from you.

Kind regards,

Dave

All Replies

Posted by ChUIMonster on 01-Oct-2009 09:31

No.  You cannot backup in one version and restore on another.  Nor can you (officially) use backup and restore to change platforms.  (Unofficially it might work under certain circumstances.)

You can however easily convert a database from one version to another using "proutil dbname -C conv910".   That takes 5 minutes or less.   Or you can dump and load.  That takes a variable amount of time depending on the hardware available, the amount of data involved and the sophistication of your process.

You will eventually need to dump & load anyway since in order to get the desired performance improvements you need to get your data out of type 1 storage areas and into type 2 storage areas.

BTW -- there is no 10.1E.  10.1 topped out at 10.1C.  The current release is 10.2A (with 10.2B around the corner.)

This thread is closed