Doubts about Oracle

Posted by Sidival on 08-Dec-2009 17:49

Hi People,

I'm working with Oracle X Progress by schema holder, and I want know if is possible users Oracle run a programm of the Progress like we use store-procedures ?

All Replies

Posted by kevin_saunders on 09-Dec-2009 02:20

No, this is not possible.

Posted by ChUIMonster on 09-Dec-2009 08:53

If you asking what the Progress equivalent of an Oracle "stored procedure" is then the answer is "a Progress App Server call".

Posted by Admin on 09-Dec-2009 11:11

When you say by schema holder, I guess you are using the Oracle data server.

From ABL/4GL code you can run Oracle stored procedures using the

RUN STORED-PROCEDURE

statement. Check the language referene of the Oracle data server reference for more details.

Posted by Sidival on 09-Dec-2009 17:13

hi Tom,

I dont know this Progress App Server call, but say me if is this, I'm imaging a Oracle programmer using a command like the store-procedure and running a function or procedure that I did in progress, is this the Progress App Server do ?

Sidival.

Posted by Bill Wood on 16-Dec-2009 13:11

In Oracle, you can have a Stored Procedure, which is code that executes on the database server.  So a call to run a stored procedure goes to the database server and runs there (possibly returning a result set).   In OpenEdge, there is no execution engine in the database server itself.  You can have an AppServer that will do this.  That is, you can, as an OpenEdge programmer, ask the remote server to run a procedure for you.  In Oracle, the remote server is effectively co-located with the database engine.  In OpenEdge, it is a different process.  But the result is the same.

This thread is closed