Progress 8.3C Needed

Posted by Admin on 21-Jan-2010 17:41

Hello,

We have a client with a proprietary software package that uses Progress 8.3C server. We have the software installation but not the database package. Their server needs to be replaced and so it's time to reinstall. Where can we find version 8.3? Can we use a newer version of Progress?

showcfg gives us the serial number but we don't have the original sales number.

Any suggestions? Can I successfully copy the dlc83 folder to a new server?

Thank you!

-Matthew

All Replies

Posted by kevin_saunders on 22-Jan-2010 03:00

If you are talking about Linux/Unix then I believe it will work.

However, if you are upgrading the OS to something newer, there may be issues with the kernel (specifically Linux, search the KB for LD_ASSUME_KERNEL). If you are upgrading a Unix variant, then there could be issues with shared library versions.

Is there a reason the client cannot upgrade to version of Progress that is not mre than 10 years old??

Posted by Admin on 22-Jan-2010 08:28

Thank you for your reply.

The current OS is NT 4.0 Server. I have no problem setting up another NT 4 box to host the database if I know what to copy (or registry keys to export).

As I say the software is proprietary and I don't know if it will run on a newer database engine.

-Matthew

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 22-Jan-2010 12:18

Perhaps you should check with Antiques Roadshow?

Posted by ChUIMonster on 22-Jan-2010 12:26

If you have the source you can upgrade at will.  All you need is a new license.  If maintenance has been kept paid up it doesn't cost anything -- in fact you will save money because your maintenance renewals will be cheaper.

If you do not have source your options are substantially more limited.

Posted by Admin on 24-Jan-2010 21:03

Hi Tom,

I think that I have the source. There is a Probuild folder with C and OBJ files. I've attached the file structure since I have no idea what I need.

I'm pretty sure I have the files copied as well as the DLLs from the system32 folder. How can I install the db service?

Thanks again.

[View:~/cfs-file.ashx/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/27/dirlist.txt.zip:550:0]

Posted by kevin_saunders on 25-Jan-2010 02:59

The source Tom is referring to is the .p, .w  & .i files that make up the application - it won't be in the dlc83 directory (or shouldn't be).

For Progress, you need the entire dlc83 folder - make sure you replicate the directory structure on the new machine.

For the services part, try exporting the registry keys (which will probbaly be PSC or Progress) from HKLM/Software and HKLU/Software and HKLM/Services for the actual services (possible called ProControl or ProService).

This thread is closed