How Do I Monitor Progress Performance?

Posted by Admin on 19-Aug-2010 09:11

Hello,

I am looking for some help in finding exactly what queries Progress is running.

I am not a Progress user but have to support an application that has a Progress backend. Using the Progress Explorer Version 10.1B I can browse to the database, and there is an equivalent application in the AppServer folder. The application performance is not good and I need to determine if the bottleneck is the application or the database.

It would be useful to see what SQL is running, and how long each call is taking.

Looking around on the web I can't seem to find much. There seems to be discussion about "Promon" but I don't appear to have that on my desktop.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks in advance,

Tim

All Replies

Posted by Admin on 20-Aug-2010 02:55

Hi Tim,

The 'promon' tool will help you to monitor database activity. There are also some databases analysis tools available to analyse the database (like dbanalys). Take a look at the Progress Database Administration documentation for detailed description of both (and other) tools: http://communities.progress.com/pcom/docs/DOC-103525

To analyse the source code, you can use the Profiler Tool: http://communities.progress.com/pcom/docs/DOC-2808. This helped me a lot to find performance bottlenecks related to the source code.

Regards,

Michel

Posted by Admin on 20-Aug-2010 05:00

Take a look at www.dbappraise.com which is a hosted DB monitoring service from White Star Software.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 20-Aug-2010 14:15

ProTop is another tool to consider and you can get that from the DB Appraise website.

But, frankly, none of these tools is going to mean much to you without some training.  For starters, the queries coming from the Progress application aren't SQL!  The Progress ABL language uses a more record oriented retrieval compared to SQL set oriented retreval.

If you have a performance issue, I would strongly recommend bringing in a consultant like WhiteStar or their competitors.  It is possible that the performance relates to bad code, especially if it occurs when a specific report is run, but there is also an excellent chance that the database parameters need tuning or your disk utilization and layout is suboptimum or any one of a number of other issues is there ... or even all of the above.  Someone who knows what they are doing can often quickly make enhancements and teach you some monitoring techniques so that you will have a much better idea of what you are doing going forward.  There is a LOT to learn to do this right and getting a good start could make an enormous difference in how quickly you can improve things and how well they get improved.

Posted by Admin on 24-Aug-2010 06:56

Thanks Guys,

I will see how far I can get.

Tim

This thread is closed