Licences Open Edge

Posted by Admin on 25-Nov-2010 14:44

Hi, could you help me?  I'd like to know how many licences do i need for 200 users. We use Windows XP for clients, our database is in a Unix Server, the System is in a Widnows Server.

All Replies

Posted by kevin_saunders on 26-Nov-2010 04:22

It depends on how the clients are accessing the DB. If it is a traditional Client Server app, then the options are Named User (all users will potentially use the system at the same time) or Registered Device (where the computer accessing the DB can be used by multiple people, but not at the same time).

If it is Named User, then an Enterprise DB license is required for 200 users and is Client Server then 200 Client Server licenses (batch and supplementary connections for utilities are not counted as active users). If you go the Registered Device route, then it is the number of devices you are going to have the Client installed on.

The last question is, is there an AppServer involved as that will add to the licenses required, but the Client Server licenses might not be required (assuming deployment via WebClient).

If the access is via WebSpeed (or some other web technology), then that introduces a different set of license requirements.. Best bet is to speak to a Progress rep..

Posted by Admin on 26-Nov-2010 10:44

Thank you very much, but i have a last question.  We don't have AppServer in use, our application is Client-Server installed in a Windows Server. We have 1 licence type Client on Windows for each user, do we need 1 licence in a Server where is our database for each user too?   This licence is used to serve the database.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 29-Nov-2010 11:25

You don't mention a version, which is important since the license model changed between V9 and OE10.  In V9, the model was concurrent user.  I.e., how many people were using the system at the same time.  One person sitting at a PC with 3 sessions open counts as one user.  Batch processes generally don't count unless there are more of them than people.  System processes like watchdog and BIW don't count.

In OE10, there is named user and registered client, as indicated, but those who had concurrent user in V9 are allowed to bring that forward.  Named client is what it sounds like, i.e., a person, regardless of the number of sessions or the number of devices is one user.  Registered client is the number of devices, not people.  I.e., 20 people who all use the same shop floor terminal are only one user.  In both, it is the total number possible, not the number simultaneous.

Both of these deal with server side components like the database or AppServer.  There is a fourth class of license called Access Agent which is for thngs like web access where a person does not specifically identify themselves and uses the system less than 2 hours a week.  Then one licenses by the agent, not the user, but that won't apply to you if you have no AppServer.

If you have ChUI clients, then there is no license for the client end.  If GUI, then you can either have Client Networking installed on the client PCs or use Web Client.  For Client Networking, you need one license per PC that may access the system, regardless of what other user model you are using.  If Web Client, then there is no license on the PC, but you need AppServer on the server.

Note that -n controls the number of *connections*, quite unrelated to the number of *users*, which varies by licensing model.

Posted by andrew.thornton@redprairie.com on 30-Nov-2010 03:05

Hi, Just out of interest how do batch processes running on the server get accounted for in the named user licence model? We typically have 3 or 4 of these running on top of say 20 actual gui users.

Thanks, Andrew

Posted by kevin_saunders on 30-Nov-2010 08:06

When batch processes are less than interactive users, then they only count as connections to the database, not licenses, regardless of the licensing model you are using.

This thread is closed