Need Some Advice - Just Starting To Use ABL with UNIX

Posted by dbrong on 10-Aug-2011 09:26

I've programmed many years, I'm new to ABL.  I've picked up the basics, but I'm having problems with screens / screen handling.

This company uses Progress on Unix, and the MRP (QAD) has a '.NET' interface to the user's windows workstations.

I've found out I can't use a simple alertbox.  Is there specific documention about how to design/code screens for this Net-UI interface?

Thanks.

All Replies

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 10-Aug-2011 11:44

It is my understanding that what QAD calls .NET and what the rest of the world calls ABL GUI for .NET are two entirely different animals.  ABL GUI for .NET allows one to write in ABL for the client, but to use .NET controls for the visual part of the UI.  This can integrate quite nicely with traditional ABL GUI programs.  My understanding of the QAD implementation is that the .NET piece operates as a screen scraper on a largely unmodified ChUI code base.  So, the rules of how to do things are likely to be **very** different in the context of MFG/Pro than they are for people doing ABL GUI for .NET.  I suggest you hunt out the MFG/Pro forums ... I guess there isn't one here, but there is an e-mail based one at peg.com and a web-based one at progresstalk.com.  I would expect PEG to have the larger audience and traffic levels, but can't speak to that directly since I don't pay any attention to the MFG/Pro lists at either.

This thread is closed