10.1B schedule dbtool maintenance

Posted by Mark.Ward on 24-Jan-2011 13:27

Hi,

I would like to schedule the dbtool to run the sql-width maintenance on a database.  The platform is Windows so I assume I can use the windows scheduler to setup a job to call dbtools on a set schedule.  The problem is the documentation does not state if you can run the sql-width maintenance from the command line.  Is it possible to automate this tool to run?  What are the command line parameters to get this to work?

All Replies

Posted by ChUIMonster on 24-Jan-2011 15:25

It may seem silly but you cannot do it directly from the command line.  Instead you have to build an input file containing the instructions that you would type and redirect input from that file.

This is explained in Knowedge Center solution id# P159769.  (I would provide a direct link but so far as I've ever been able to determine there is no reliable way to do so...)

The Knowledge Center is at: http://progress.atgnow.com/esprogress/Group.jsp?bgroup=progress  just choose "find solution by id" and enter P159769.

Posted by Mark.Ward on 24-Jan-2011 16:36

Thanks!

I will mark you as the correct answer but I can't seem to get the "all" table option to work. The following is my input file.

"2~n1~n5~nall~n0"

Posted by Mark.Ward on 24-Jan-2011 17:01

I called support and this was my problem.

The case was talking about running the 4gl script and the input was formatted for 4gl.  Where the ~n in the input file you have to actually put a real newline in the input file if you are making the file manually.

this is the new content of my input file without the quotes.

"

all
all
"

and running the tool is

dbtool dbname

Posted by mauromarchi on 03-Jul-2012 09:45

Hi Mister Mark Ward.

My name is Mauro and i write from Italy.

I read your post about DBTOOL Command and i appreciate so much.

If i understood well , i had the same your problem.

I need to write a UNIX Script to schedule every day DBTOOL Command to all my databases.

I wrote the script in this way :

dbtool <name of db>  < input.txt

The file input.txt is written as :

all

all

When i run this script , AIX System shows me main menu of DBTOOL Command (see you the attachment), but it seems it is blocked waiting an option  again...

It stops on Verbose Option , it seems need another key...

Why ???

Is that possible to run DBTOOL Command in batch mode ???

Where am i wrong ????

Many thanks to read my message, THANKS IN ADVANCE to anyone...

Ciao to all.

[View:~/cfs-file.ashx/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/27/DATABASE-TOOLS-MENU.docx:550:0]

Posted by mauromarchi on 03-Jul-2012 09:55

Hi Mister Tom Bascom.

I tried to schedule on our AIX System , a script containing the command DBTOOL.

The script is very simple and it cointans this row:

dbtool <nome db>    < input.txt

The input.txt file is like that :

all

all

When i run the script, Operating System shows  the main menu of DBTOOL Command , but it seems it waits for another key to press..

Why ???

Could you help me ????

Where am i wrong ????

Did you ever do anything of similar in DOS or Unix system ???

I need use this command on ALL tables of our database because me and othhers programmers need to use PROGRESS DB via ODBC ..

Thanks in advance.

PS. I attach screenshot of DBTOOL command and where it seems to stop waiting a key...

Thanks

[View:~/cfs-file.ashx/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/27/7360.DATABASE-TOOLS-MENU.docx:550:0]

Posted by gus on 03-Jul-2012 10:14

Note that there is a -checkwidth startup parameter for the 4GL. If you specify this parameter then you can cause the 4GL to handle character columsn the same as SQL does, namely that it will not store values larger than the maximum width. Alternatively, you can cause an error message to be generated but the overly wide value will be accepted.

Posted by mauromarchi on 03-Jul-2012 10:23

Ciao Gus.

Thanks you very much for your answer and for your advice.

I will talk about that with our software house.

But did you ever do experience with DBTOOL Command ???

Mainly i'd like to use that.

In interactive mode , DBTOOL is very simple to use.

Using DBTOOL in batch mode, i cannot see if it works fine...it seems no..

Can you help anyway about that ???

Did you have an exprience about that ???

Thanks again and the same.

This thread is closed