How to access a Progress 9.1D database from Java based web a

Posted by samrat.ray@jktech.com on 03-Apr-2013 12:42

Hi,

We have a Progress based application, we are using 9.1D version. Is it possiable to access this 9.1D databse from java based web application?

Need to know the process how we can do this, using Proxygen, Appserver ?

Please tell in details.

Thanks in advance.

All Replies

Posted by Admin on 03-Apr-2013 13:23

ProxyGen / The Open Client Toolkit is a very good approach to access 4GL logic on the AppServer. The documentation for ancient 9.1D is still available here: http://communities.progress.com/pcom/docs/DOC-12228 As you've already heard of ProxyGEn you may have more detailled questions already?JDBC / SQL92 is another possibility if you need to access the database directly: http://communities.progress.com/pcom/docs/DOC-12238

Posted by samrat.ray@jktech.com on 03-Apr-2013 14:10

Thanks Mike!

I knew about Proxygen for Progress OpenEdge versions but I don’t know about 9.1D version, whether this version is accessible from web based application or not. I believe weservices are introduced from OpenEdge before that, in case of older version of progress (9.1D) what would be the best process to access a 9.1D databse form web.

Posted by Admin on 03-Apr-2013 14:18

I'd say a lot depends on how that Java based web application is written.

The ProxyGen creates Java Classes that use the native AppServer protocol to talk to the AppServer. No XML overhead as with Web Services. Web Services however are a more universally usable interface.

Posted by samrat.ray@jktech.com on 03-Apr-2013 14:45

Ok, one more question is it possible if i use Progress 10.1a version Appserver to connect 9.1D DB (if it is possible) and 10.1a Proxygen to produce wsdl web services so that i can fulfil my purpose accessing 9.1D database in web. So do you think this approach is possible?

Posted by Admin on 03-Apr-2013 14:48

10.1A AppServer can connect to 9.1D Client.

AFAIK the AppServer version should match (more or less) the ProxyGen version.

This thread is closed