Using your favorite BI and reporting tools with OpenEdge app

Posted by Dion Picco on 02-Jul-2013 08:39

One of the challenges I've seen with many OpenEdge applications is exposing their data to any BI or reporting tool.  These tools base their connectivity on a SQL standard, such as ODBC or JDBC, and not 4GL/ABL. 

OpenEdge bundles an ODBC driver in the box that allows BI/reporting tools to connect directly to the OpenEdge database.  In certain use-cases however, there are limitations with this approach, for example:

1. Many applications have a data schema that is optimized for transaction processing, not for human BI analysis.  The schemas can be complex, contain all sorts of cross-relations, have obscure table fields, and so on. 
  2. For SaaS applications, many ISVs have built a custom multi-tenancy implementation that is enforced through the business logic layer.  Exposing connectivity to the database directly can compromise the tenancy policies, and potentially create data security issues for end user customers.

I have created a solution brief that discusses these problems in more depth, along with a Progress solution to this problem called DataDirect OpenAccess. 

I would be happy to do a follow-up with any of you to answer questions or hear your feedback so don't hesitate to reach out.

Cheers!

Dion Picco

Progress Software

[View:~/cfs-file.ashx/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/27/Solution-Brief-_2D00_-OpenAccess-for-OpenEdge-_2D00_-June-20-2013.pdf:550:0]

All Replies

Posted by Jurjen Dijkstra on 02-Aug-2013 10:03

Hi Dion,

That is very interesting! But is this a product, or a conceptual option of what can be created with OpenAccess SDK?

Because when I go to the webpage (http://www.datadirect.com/products/custom-driver-sdk/) or to the download page, I only get to see the OpenAcess SDK with no mention of OpenEdge. The webpage seems to suggest that I am enabled to write code for any back-end, while your PDF suggests that OpenAccess already provides the OpenEdge appserver interface out of the box.

Can you elaborate please?

Thanks, Jurjen.

Posted by Dion Picco on 02-Aug-2013 10:17

Hi Jurjen,

OpenAccess gives you a lot of freedom in what you can create and is not specific to OpenEdge (though works great with it).  There isn't a pre-built OpenEdge connector inside of OpenAccess.  Rather, we'd recommend using OpenAccess with the OpenEdge OpenClient to invoke the app server functions you need.  OpenAccess itself is the SDK that makes it easy to build ODBC, JDBC, ADO.NET or OLE.DB drivers for any application, and within that you can use platform-specific modules to accomplish whatever connectivity goal you need. 

I hope this helps.

Cheers

--Dion

Posted by Jurjen Dijkstra on 03-Aug-2013 04:21

Hi Dion,

Thanks, that's clear. We certainly will check it out. Would you perhaps have sample code to share, that uses the OpenEdge Open Client from the SDK?

Have a nice weekend,

Jurjen.

This thread is closed