Can start a DB with -S <ServiceName> defined in etc\se

Posted by slacroixak on 09-Mar-2020 13:40

OE 11.7.5 on win2016

Most people know the hosts file in Windows\System32\driver\etc.  Its seems very few know about the services file to define service names bound to service tcp/udp ports (one service per line), with a possible comment at the end of each line.

As far as I remember, Progress has always been able to resolve a service name into a service port with that system file on Windows when starting a database, or on the client side for a 4GL connection.

Today I discover DataDirect does not seem capable of using that system services file.  The Windows ODBC Definition GUI tool lets me type a character expression for a service port, but the test connection buttons falls with the following warning message :

---------------------------
Warning
---------------------------
[DataDirect][ODBC Progress OpenEdge Wire Protocol driver]Number contains an invalid character: <myServiceName>

I cannot find a relevant KBase about that one, nor any recommendation about not using that services file.

Does it ring a bell to someone on the forum?  Is there a reason to no longer use that services file?

--------------------------- Warning --------------------------- [DataDirect][ODBC Progress OpenEdge Wire Protocol driver]Number contains an invalid character

Posted by Libor Laubacher on 10-Mar-2020 13:59

Bonjour Seb,

I am afraid you'd need to stick to port number - knowledgebase.progress.com/.../P113242

/LL

All Replies

Posted by Libor Laubacher on 10-Mar-2020 13:59

Bonjour Seb,

I am afraid you'd need to stick to port number - knowledgebase.progress.com/.../P113242

/LL

Posted by slacroixak on 10-Mar-2020 22:56

Thank you Libor, this is the kind of info I was expecting but could not find in the KBase.

I just left a comment asking to add the above message to the list.

This thread is closed