OE migration to MS SQL utility

Posted by ctoman on 05-Dec-2019 14:08

OE 11.4

OS HP-UX 11.31

Even though i ran the dbtool ( before starting the migration) for all tables to fix the SQL width, i'm still running into SQL width issues.  Is there a way to set the tolerable load error to 100% before starting migration?  

All Replies

Posted by dbeavon on 05-Dec-2019 15:33

I'm curious... Are you going to actually start using SQL dataserver?  Are you going to try running your legacy ABL on it?

We are still running HP-UX too... and we had also evaluated SQL dataserver this past year.  One of the challenges for us was the very limited offerings in terms of licensing.  I think we were offered "named user" licensing - which isn't that cost-efficient .  As far as the dataserver technology goes, however, I was very impressed.  It seemed to translate from ABL to ODBC very well in most cases (80%), and there are powerful alternative approaches for the 20% that needs an extra performance boost.

Posted by ctoman on 05-Dec-2019 15:38

No, this is a one time deal.  We sold our flooring company, and they would like their data in MS SQL.  

Posted by ducity on 05-Dec-2019 22:37

Short answer is no. One approach, is that you edit the <schemaHolder>.sql from your failed attempt, change all datetime to datetime2 (allows for larger date range) , and all the varchar (X) to varchar (100) or varchar (150), obviously if you already have varchar (100) or (150) then you need consider increasing them first. Save this as <schemaHolderX>.sql. When you re-run your migration, when the "Output Completed" dialogue appears , DO NOT PRESS OK, instead, overwrite the generated <schemaHolder>.sql with your modified version <schemaHolderX>.sql, and then press OK. Should you get another failure, adjust your  modified schema and rinse and repeat.  

Other alternative is that you can modify the schema in SQL , suck it back to the schema holder, and (whilst connected to sql db as logical db "wot"), run progress code; input from <table>.d, repeat: create wot.<table>. import wot.<table> end. This approach means you aren't going through the whole migration each time....

Posted by ctoman on 06-Dec-2019 14:00

Thank you!  

This thread is closed