PDS Project Explorer View - Package Presentation Flat or Hie

Posted by slacroixak on 25-Nov-2019 21:11

Struggling with PDS 11.7.5  Package Explorer and the Project Explorer Views  (for both OE Server or OE Editor perspectives)

These two views offer two options for "Package Presentation" in the small arrow-down menu: Flat and Hierarchical.  But these two options seem to provide the same results for ABL Classes.  I seem to recall that in the java world, the Flat option shows a com.company.product standard package as one single flat treeview node that you can expand to list its members, as opposed to 3 levels of sub-directories for com company and product .  Have I missed something to make it work the flat way for ABL Classes?

We can see what is expected in the Class Browser View when choosing the "Browse by Project" button, but this view is not linked to the Editor view.

Posted by Ramadevi Dhavala on 28-Nov-2019 13:03

Hi,

For ABL Classes, flat treeview is not implemented. Package structure is always displayed in hierarchical format. For Openedge projects, from the project explorer, user can view different kind of Openedge resources and perform various ABL specific actions. Package explorer is specific to Java perspective. Openedge functionality cannot be accessible from this view.  Class Browser is a Progress Developer Studio for OpenEdge view that allows you to see the structure and content (eg: information about properties, data members, constructors, methods, events etc) of the various classes files. Class Browser displays this information for all resources, whether within or outside of a project in the workspace and we have not given Link with Editor option.

Thanks,

Ramadevi

All Replies

Posted by Ramadevi Dhavala on 28-Nov-2019 13:03

Hi,

For ABL Classes, flat treeview is not implemented. Package structure is always displayed in hierarchical format. For Openedge projects, from the project explorer, user can view different kind of Openedge resources and perform various ABL specific actions. Package explorer is specific to Java perspective. Openedge functionality cannot be accessible from this view.  Class Browser is a Progress Developer Studio for OpenEdge view that allows you to see the structure and content (eg: information about properties, data members, constructors, methods, events etc) of the various classes files. Class Browser displays this information for all resources, whether within or outside of a project in the workspace and we have not given Link with Editor option.

Thanks,

Ramadevi

Posted by slacroixak on 03-Dec-2019 07:00

Thank you for your answer Ramadevi.  I was referring to the Class Browser PDS for OE view to illustrate a view that can handle the flat treeview aspect for packages.

I may sound a bit challenging, but in a typical OE App that *progress*ively moves from old .p/.i/.w scripts to more robust .cls classes, OE developers would appreciate the Explorer view to support the flat mode to shrink the vertical space used by packages.  This would actually favour the adoption of package standard naming convention (like com.company.product.package) and contribute in making OE look good in something that mixes various technologies.

This thread is closed