PASOE - Enabling REQIDLOGGING in the openedge_setenv.sh seem

Posted by Nate Bauer on 22-Nov-2019 22:52

I am attempting to enable REQIDLOGGING in the openedge_setenv.sh by uncommenting this line of code:

docs.progress.com/.../Modify-environment-variables.html

I removed the comment notation (#) and restarted the PASOE instance. The article above states that after restarting (stopping/starting) a PASOE instances all files with the suffix _setenv.sh/bat are run. So, I should see the request-ID's in my logs. However, this is not happening. Any information on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Additionally, I created a <instance_name>_setenv.sh and this did not work either.

Posted by Michael Jacobs on 23-Nov-2019 11:33

It sounds like you are trying to manually enable the PASOE enhanced logging in 11.7.4+.   It is fully enabled as the default in 12.x releases and you don't have to do anything unless you want to turn it off.

For the 11.7.4+ case, refer the the online OE documentation link:

documentation.progress.com/.../index.html

The enhanced logging that permits the creating and logging of Request-ids so that you can track individual HTTP request across the entire request execution.  This ability is part of the MDC (Mapped Diagnostic Context) logging enhancements, so use MDC as a search term.  In 11.7.4 there are a number of locations where you have to make changes before it will fully operate.  The documentation will tell you where and how.  

All Replies

Posted by Mike Fechner on 23-Nov-2019 06:31

Which OpenEdge release? And is this a new or migrated PASOE instance?

Posted by Michael Jacobs on 23-Nov-2019 11:33

It sounds like you are trying to manually enable the PASOE enhanced logging in 11.7.4+.   It is fully enabled as the default in 12.x releases and you don't have to do anything unless you want to turn it off.

For the 11.7.4+ case, refer the the online OE documentation link:

documentation.progress.com/.../index.html

The enhanced logging that permits the creating and logging of Request-ids so that you can track individual HTTP request across the entire request execution.  This ability is part of the MDC (Mapped Diagnostic Context) logging enhancements, so use MDC as a search term.  In 11.7.4 there are a number of locations where you have to make changes before it will fully operate.  The documentation will tell you where and how.  

Posted by Nate Bauer on 25-Nov-2019 13:39

Hi Mike and Michael,

This is a new PASOE instance that was created after we made the upgrade from 11.7.4 to 11.7.5.

The link to the documentation was exactly what I needed to enable MDC and the request-ids.

Much appreciated good sir.

This thread is closed