OpenEdge Management "Cloud control"

Posted by Dmitri Levin on 17-Oct-2019 16:13

We have a farm of servers (20+) running OE, each has it's own local OE Management.
Is it possible to configure one OEM so it will see everything on all other servres, not just it's own? For ex., all webspeed and appservers brokers running on all remote servers (their status and config ).

I do this with Oracle Enterprise Manager 13c. I have a list of servers on one "Cloud control" OEM. Clicking on each remote server I could see the status of it. It is done by spinning off Oracle OEM agents running on a remote servers and passing information to "Cloud control" OEM. I demoed that at PUG Americas 2019.
I can build something like that myself of course, but prefer a solution from PSC, if that is possible.

All Replies

Posted by Stefan Drissen on 17-Oct-2019 16:50

Haven't remote AdminServers been supported since 10.1C or so?

Maybe that they were limited to OpenEdge Management and not included in the cut down OpenEdge Explorer?

documentation.progress.com/.../index.html

Posted by Paul Koufalis on 17-Oct-2019 17:05

The short answer to your question is simply yes. It is considered OEM best practice to install OEM on a small, dedicated VM and to connect all your remote AdminServers to the one central OEM.

The longer answer is that there are limits as to how many remote AdminServers a single OEM can handle. I don't know what that limit is but I would not be surprised to hear that 20+ is too much.

Posted by Libor Laubacher on 17-Oct-2019 17:30

I believe that limit is long gone when the remote monitoring has switched to ActiveMQ and the code has been revamped. 

Sent from my iPhone

On 17 Oct 2019, at 19:07, Paul Koufalis <bounce-pkoufalis@community.progress.com> wrote:

Update from Progress Community
<4TQ5CSFVXG6V-jpg_2D00_70x70x2-jpg>
Paul Koufalis

The short answer to your question is simply yes. It is considered OEM best practice to install OEM on a small, dedicated VM and to connect all your remote AdminServers to the one central OEM.

The longer answer is that there are limits as to how many remote AdminServers a single OEM can handle. I don't know what that limit is but I would not be surprised to hear that 20+ is too much.

View online

You received this notification because you subscribed to the forum.  To unsubscribe from only this thread, go here.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

Posted by Matt Baker on 17-Oct-2019 17:37

There are practical limits, but there are no artificial limits in place on the number of remote adminservers.  OEM (less so OEE) is kind of chatty on the network and the UI is not organized for managing hundreds of resources.  Mostly it depends on how many database and appservers, and less so on the pure number of adminservers of where the practical limit is.

Posted by Rama Murthy on 17-Oct-2019 17:41

Yes it is possible. You can use one OEM to configure/monitor resources running on different remote adminservers with various OpenEdge resources. Few of our customers are using 40+ remote Adminservers connected to a single OEM. We tested with 40+ remote adminservers in our in-house test environment.

Thanks,

Murthy

Posted by Paul Koufalis on 17-Oct-2019 17:53

That makes sense. I remember the problems were related to the old Sonic communication.

Posted by Neil Treeby on 17-Oct-2019 18:49

Something like this would've been great for us if it had been available with 10.1C / 10.2B (maybe it was, but nobody realized it at the time), we have long since developed our own console for managing AppServers and other non-Progress services.  It's been a life-saver during maintenance periods.

We have... significantly more than 20 OE AppServers we need to manage, spread across 8 geographic locations, and servicing 3 separate OE applications plus other non-Progress applications.  The ability to orchestrate all that from a single physical console is essential to timely conclusion of maintenance and minimizing downtime.

Posted by skommine on 18-Oct-2019 10:42

Do we know anyone configured ~100 remote servers and monitoring through Progress OEM console? I am interested to know the practical configuration and monitoring challenges in this use case. We understand the fact that the OEM UI is not well organized for monitoring hundreds of resources.

Thanks,

-Srinivas

This thread is closed