Moving from 11.7.5 to 12

Posted by goo on 16-Jul-2019 11:39

We are moving from 11.7.5 to Version 12 for a customer, so I would like to know if there is something we have to be aware of? we have both webspeed and appservers, we uses https.

any tip is appreciated 

//Geir Otto

Posted by Peter Judge on 17-Jul-2019 13:54

PASOE's multisession agent still uses PROPATH in the same way that any AVM does. So if ABL code is on PROPATH,  then normal rules apply. If you have ABL code in the instance's directory structure that's in a directory that's not on PROPATH, it won't run.

There are 3 places in a PASOE instance that are provided for ABL code by default:
  1. <instance-root>/openedge
  2. <instance-root>/webapps/<webapp-name>/WEB-INF/openedge
  3. $DLC/tty/**

(1) is for code that is common to all the ABL apps and ABL webapps in an instance. that would be a good place for code that is comon to all - stuff like framework or util code. This folder is on the PROPATH for all the ABL apps in an instance.

(2) is for ABL code that is used for service interfaces - code that lets a client "in" to the ABL application.

(3) is for ABL code that Progress ships, inclding the webhandlers in $DLC/tty/netlib/OpenEdge.Net.pl

You can see that there's no place for code that's specific to an ABL application: I would suggest you create a

<instance-root>/ablapps/<abl-app-name>/openedge

directory and add code in there. You will need to manually do this and also manually add that path to PROPATH.

You can, of course, also have that code anywhere on PROPATH. PROPATH is not limited to the instance's directories, but having it all in an instance means that it is easier to package/zip and deploy to another host/machine. I would not recommend having the db in the instance folder staructure, since we may want to be able to scale a number of these instances to handle load, and they all need to be able to write to a single (set of) database(s).

You can see the PROPATH values in <instance-root>/conf/openedge.properties in the  [AppServer.Agent.<abl-app-name>] sections.

HTH,
-- peter

All Replies

Posted by goo on 16-Jul-2019 11:40

Sorry, not 11.5, but 11.7.5

Posted by David Cleary on 16-Jul-2019 12:32

If you are moving from classic servers to PASOE, then the migration guide is where to start.

PASOE to PASOE would require a recompile of R-Code, and regeneration of any PDSOE projects that are exporting war files. WSM and PAAR files for SOAP and REST can just be deployed to the new instance.

Dave

Posted by goo on 17-Jul-2019 13:31

I have both a webspeed app and three appservers running on classic, but when converting, I will have one ABLApp and one WebApp. Some code are the same for both app. How should that be placed?

As far as I understand:

e:\myServices\ABLapp1\

e:\myServices\Webapp1\

e:\myService\FrameworkCode\.....

Should I put FrameworkCode in the propath instead of adding it to the instances?

//Geir Otto

Posted by Peter Judge on 17-Jul-2019 13:54

PASOE's multisession agent still uses PROPATH in the same way that any AVM does. So if ABL code is on PROPATH,  then normal rules apply. If you have ABL code in the instance's directory structure that's in a directory that's not on PROPATH, it won't run.

There are 3 places in a PASOE instance that are provided for ABL code by default:
  1. <instance-root>/openedge
  2. <instance-root>/webapps/<webapp-name>/WEB-INF/openedge
  3. $DLC/tty/**

(1) is for code that is common to all the ABL apps and ABL webapps in an instance. that would be a good place for code that is comon to all - stuff like framework or util code. This folder is on the PROPATH for all the ABL apps in an instance.

(2) is for ABL code that is used for service interfaces - code that lets a client "in" to the ABL application.

(3) is for ABL code that Progress ships, inclding the webhandlers in $DLC/tty/netlib/OpenEdge.Net.pl

You can see that there's no place for code that's specific to an ABL application: I would suggest you create a

<instance-root>/ablapps/<abl-app-name>/openedge

directory and add code in there. You will need to manually do this and also manually add that path to PROPATH.

You can, of course, also have that code anywhere on PROPATH. PROPATH is not limited to the instance's directories, but having it all in an instance means that it is easier to package/zip and deploy to another host/machine. I would not recommend having the db in the instance folder staructure, since we may want to be able to scale a number of these instances to handle load, and they all need to be able to write to a single (set of) database(s).

You can see the PROPATH values in <instance-root>/conf/openedge.properties in the  [AppServer.Agent.<abl-app-name>] sections.

HTH,
-- peter

Posted by goo on 18-Jul-2019 07:17

Peter, how do I relate a PASOE to a classic appserver?

Say I have (in classic):

- a webspeed connected to DB1 stateless

- a  AppServer connected to DB1, DB2 state-free

- a  AppServer connected to DB1, DB2 state-reset

All three are using same code, but webspeed has one less db.

How is an instance related to this? I understand I can have multiple transporthandlers, but I kind of do not understand the concept of instance compared to AppServer.

For me an AppServer was connected to one set of dbs and one set of code. Is a pasoeinstance the same, just that you may have several connectionhandlers? So when I have a webspeed connected to one db, and two appservers connected to the same + another db, I would have two Pasoe instances?

Newbee 12

//Geir Otto  

Posted by goo on 18-Jul-2019 07:41

I found this PDF:

pugsa.org/.../D1Y3-PJ-PASOE_Best_Practices.pdf

I understand it better now .-)

Posted by goo on 18-Jul-2019 09:26

Posted by goo on 18-Jul-2019 09:42

I just removed that stupid comment :-) I totally forgot how propath works.... I suddenly remembered

This thread is closed