Container image for PASOE is now available from Docker Hub

Posted by egarcia on 24-Jun-2019 18:51

Hello everyone,

I want to let you know that the container image for PASOE is now available from Docker Hub.

Where can I find the Container Image for PASOE?

The Container Image for PASOE can be found in Docker Hub:

Once you proceed with the checkout you can download the image using docker pull:

• docker login
  • docker pull store/progresssoftware/pasoe:<tagname>

The following tags are available:

• 11.7.5 PAS for OpenEdge release 11.7.5
  • 12.0.0 PAS for OpenEdge release 12.0.0

You can find additional info on the following articles:

Thank you and regards.

All Replies

Posted by Mike Fechner on 10-Sep-2019 13:09

Hi Edsel, I have just had a look on Dockerhub and I can only find the 11.7.5 and 12.1 docker images there . Looks like the 12.0 is no longer available on Dockerhub. Is there a special way to retrieve "previous" versions? 12.1. is FCS since a week only - so I'd expect to be able to still pull 12.0 without any issue.

Posted by egarcia on 10-Sep-2019 13:25

Hello Mike,

In the same way as 12.0.x and 12.1.x are available on the ESD, I would expect the Docker image for 12.0 and 12.1 to be available on Docker Hub.

(Note: If you need the 12.0 image you can download it from the ESD.)

I will check with the development team.

Thank you and regards,

Edsel

Posted by Mike Fechner on 10-Sep-2019 13:31

12.0 is missing here. 

Posted by Oleg Kupershmidt on 11-Sep-2019 04:33

[mention:6e3b17cb0ff148039a2aabb4c7834ce4:e9ed411860ed4f2ba0265705b8793d05] I am curious why do you need 12.0 if a newer and better version 12.1 is available now?

I want to understand your use case. I expect the that Docker Hub distribution (vs. ESD) will be particularly favored by the OpenEdge dev teams that are moving faster to newer versions, utilizing continuous integration with high degree of automation.

Either way, 12.0 is available on ESD and if you manually change the tag to 12.0 it is still there in the Docker Hub repo (I was going to remove but just in case kept it there), we just don't advertise it as the latest and greatest.

Posted by Mike Fechner on 11-Sep-2019 05:00

Hi [mention:ff19c4250db54b2cad70c7e502acff94:e9ed411860ed4f2ba0265705b8793d05]

in the meantime I fount out, that despite the fact that 12.0.0 is not listed as an available tag on the web page shown above, I can still pull it on the command line.

However to answer your questions.

12.1.0 was released (with no big noise) some time last week. I may just not have the license codes available and have to use 12.0.0 for a while.

QA is another reason. I may need to deploy to an end user now - but my QA has not finished testing the application on 12.1.0 yet.

There _might_ (I'm sure it never happens in reality ...) be an issue in the most recent version preventing me to go live with that before a hotfix or service pack is available.

Posted by jankeir on 11-Sep-2019 11:12

I must agree with Mike here, teams should be able to move at their own pace. There are times when upgrading can go very rapidly, but there are other times when one wants to keep things stable and focus exclusively on a few specific changes. We are for example deploying containers that keep an automated warehouse running, upgrading the OpenEdge release is not something you will do without very careful planning, no matter how many tests you have in your pipeline.

Posted by jankeir on 11-Sep-2019 11:12

I must agree with Mike here, teams should be able to move at their own pace. There are times when upgrading can go very rapidly, but there are other times when one wants to keep things stable and focus exclusively on a few specific changes. We are for example deploying containers that keep an automated warehouse running, upgrading the OpenEdge release is not something you will do without very careful planning, no matter how many tests you have in your pipeline.

Posted by frank.meulblok on 11-Sep-2019 11:37

Further on the QA aspect:

Having the previous release still available makes it a lot easier to confirm if a new issue in the new release is a regression in OpenEdge or not.

That's a very valuable point in troubleshooting/resolving the issues, regardless of if we need to resolve them ourselves, or if they end up with Technical Support and beyond.

Posted by Oleg Kupershmidt on 11-Sep-2019 11:48

Thank you everyone for sharing your considerations, as always we are listening. I will update the Docker posting to show 12.0 tag to eliminate the guesswork a la Mike F :)

I will also add for the full picture that the Docker container image we offer cannot be deployed to production as-is without some customization by customers. So in practice you will want to pull it into your private repo, modify/extend/customize/repackage and then the resulting image (versioned for your environment) will be what you want to use for deployment.

This thread is closed