Core license model definition in EULA

Posted by dbeavon on 30-May-2018 07:50

There have been some discussions about licenses and self-auditing in these forums.  Can someone please tell me what this part of the EULA means?  It applies to customers who are purchasing a Progress "core" license.

"A Core License may not be transferred from one Server or Platform to another."

I googled for this and wasn't able to find the exact language from any other vendors.  It seems kind of crazy that a customer wouldn't be able to go ahead and install a core license on another server if the hardware dies or goes out of warranty.  I suspect that isn't what the language is supposed to mean, but that's how it reads at face value. I suspect the purpose of that sentence has more to do with DR strategies.  It is possible that some customers might plan on using the same licenses in the case of a disaster (ie. having a server image ready to be turned on in a different datacenter).  

Please let me know how to read this.  Any additional explanation would be helpful.

Posted by Paul Koufalis on 30-May-2018 08:29

You are correct: this is to prevent the use of core and concurrent licences to enable any kind of DR strategy.

There is some additional language in the DR section that may be pertinent here:  'No Disaster Recovery License is required for a switch from a primary Server to secondary Server so long as the primary Server is permanently disabled. However a Disaster Recovery License is required for any other temporary reassignment between the primary Server and any other Server."

All Replies

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 30-May-2018 08:02

That's exactly what it means -  I've had customers under that kind of license that couldn't move off existing hardware w/out  a license change.

Posted by Paul Koufalis on 30-May-2018 08:29

You are correct: this is to prevent the use of core and concurrent licences to enable any kind of DR strategy.

There is some additional language in the DR section that may be pertinent here:  'No Disaster Recovery License is required for a switch from a primary Server to secondary Server so long as the primary Server is permanently disabled. However a Disaster Recovery License is required for any other temporary reassignment between the primary Server and any other Server."

Posted by dbeavon on 30-May-2018 08:39

So, if server hardware goes out of warranty, what is the proceedure to move to another server?  Does Progress keep track of all our servers for us?  Is there a fee/cost related to Progress licensing every time the underlying hardware needs to be changed?

I think I've heard that other vendors allow core licenses to be mobile, as long as you don't move them to new hardware too frequently (eg. once every 90 days).

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 30-May-2018 08:42

David,

You really need to be talking to your account rep for this.  Communities cannot provide the answers.

Brian Maher
Principal Engineer, Technical Support
Progress
Progress
14 Oak Park | Bedford, MA 01730 | USA
phone
+1 781 280 3075

Twitter
Facebook
LinkedIn
Google+

Posted by Paul Koufalis on 30-May-2018 08:45

No Progress does not keep track of servers. I believe that officially, if you move to a new server, you need to request a new serial # (no cost if you're paying maintenance). Unofficially, I doubt that this is necessary as long as the move is permanent.

Posted by dbeavon on 30-May-2018 08:52

Brian, I had asked my account rep already and this is what he sent me.  

I suspect that a ton of people have the same question when reading that sentence, and I'd rather that the next person not have to waste a lot of time on the same FAQ.  Communities like this one are a helpful place to get FAQ's answered.  I don't know why licensing questions should be more technical or opaque than software development questions.

I think what you are really saying is that I need to take the sentence at face value ("A Core License may not be transferred from one Server or Platform to another.")  It is written in plain English, after all. ;)  

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 30-May-2018 08:58

Dave,

What I am saying is that whatever information you get from Communities will be other peoples guesses, assumptions and thoughts from previous experience.

If that is all you care about then go ahead.

If you want to get the 100% answer then you need to push the account rep until they give you the level of detail you require.

Brian Maher
Progress
Progress
phone
+1 781 280 3075

Twitter
Facebook
LinkedIn
Google+

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 30-May-2018 09:10

However, Brian, some of us have had the experience of the rep telling us things that did not match published materials and so believe that it is wise to be forewarned so that one can argue if there is something that doesn't make sense.

There is an "it depends" quality to this problem.  If a server dies and you re-install on an identical server, then I can't imagine anyone ever complaining, even in an audit since no one knew the serial number of the original box.  The issue comes in moving to a new box, which often is far from identical.  Clearly, if it is a different OS, one needs new binaries and new serial numbers.  I would think that with a core license, there might also be an issue about whether the old core was equivalent to a new core.  Whenever you do a swap like this, it is treated like a trade-in and one has to deal with any licensing which no longer conforms to current licensing.

Posted by goo on 30-May-2018 09:40

But IT would be very interesting to see the answer 

Sendt fra min iPhone

30. mai 2018 kl. 15:45 skrev Brian K. Maher <bounce-maher@community.progress.com>:

Update from Progress Community
Brian K. Maher

David,

You really need to be talking to your account rep for this.  Communities cannot provide the answers.

Brian Maher
Progress
phone
+1 781 280 3075

View online

You received this notification because you subscribed to the forum.  To unsubscribe from only this thread, go here.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

Posted by Paul Koufalis on 30-May-2018 09:40

Thomas: there is no issue, AFAIK, with core equivalencies when upgrading. Again, in my experience (which is fairly extensive), a core is a core is a core.

One gotcha on VMWare is that the hypervisor is often configured with hyper threads as vCPUs. For example, a 4 CPU, 8 core per CPU box, which has 32 cores, will present 64 vCPUs. In this case, your "4 vCPU" VM is really only using 2 cores. If you have licenses for 4 cores, then you can use 8 vCPUs in this example.

As always, the usual disclaimers apply: YMMV. I am not a lawyer.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 30-May-2018 09:50

Paul, it was exactly that sort of issue which I was referring to.  In particular, moving from an older machine without VM to a newer machine with VM.

This thread is closed