Platform support for OE 12

Posted by dbeavon on 13-Apr-2018 12:49

Are there going to be any platform support changes between OE 11.7 and OE 12? I'm interested to know about HP-UX platform support in particular.

Here is the current HP-UX roadmap: https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/Getdocument.aspx?docname=4AA3-9071ENW

It is saying that existing workloads will need to be "containerized" onto linux.  

There are other customers who seem to be making the migration away from HP-UX already, but I don't know if it necessary in order to upgrade to OE 12.  See... https://community.progress.com/community_groups/openedge_rdbms/f/18/t/37970

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks, David

Posted by dbeavon on 22-Apr-2018 10:01

Progress created a kb article to  announce plans for discontinuing  hpux support in future versions of openedge (eg for oe version 12).  

knowledgebase.progress.com/.../OpenEdge-and-HP-UX-Itanium-support

Of course some hpux customers may not even plan on using oe12 for the next five years anyway. And oe 11.7.x will continue to be supported on hpux for a while - probably until the end of the hp-ux roadmap in 2025 (that's my guess).

All Replies

Posted by JonathanWilson on 16-Apr-2018 06:50

I'm currently involved in moving from HP-UX to RHEL.  Ideally you only want to be changing one thing at a time, so if you have 11.7 on HP-UX then you should go to 11.7 on Linux.  After that work on moving to OE12.  Unless you have an awesome QA team that loves testing.

The problem with HP-UX OS is it's dead; there's no real world advantages over Linux these days.  There's zero need to add HP-UX on top of a Linux stack for OpenEdge.  OpenEdge's ABL means it should be easy to switch OS; only issue is a dump / load.  Because OpenEdge's PROBKUP is "very stupid" (TM) backup tool that can't create platform independent backups.  So long as you have a good downtime window; it's just time consuming, there is PRO2 which will work for large DBs.  I've tested Pro2 and it's something we'll use in the future on our large dbs when moving HP-UX to Linux.  Since it can do trigger based replication without the need for our software team to write their own.

Posted by dbeavon on 16-Apr-2018 11:27

I agree that it's not too controversial anymore to say "HP-UX is dead".  I'm just wondering what the official platform support will be where Progress OpenEdge is concerned.  I am very curious if Progress is going to continue to invest in HP-UX, or deprecate/discontinue the platform.   Perhaps they haven't reached a final decision yet.  However it seems to me that they should know the answer to this question by now, considering OE 12 is supposed to be available in 2018.  

As I understand it, other vendors are already leaving HP-UX and the IA64 chips.  Oracle would have left years ago if they weren't bound by contract to continue support for that platform. (Oracle has to pay HP $3 *billion* simply because they made an attempt to abandon ship).

Presumably it won't cost Progress $3 billion to stop supporting the HP-UX platform if/when they decide to do so.

Posted by dbeavon on 22-Apr-2018 10:01

Progress created a kb article to  announce plans for discontinuing  hpux support in future versions of openedge (eg for oe version 12).  

knowledgebase.progress.com/.../OpenEdge-and-HP-UX-Itanium-support

Of course some hpux customers may not even plan on using oe12 for the next five years anyway. And oe 11.7.x will continue to be supported on hpux for a while - probably until the end of the hp-ux roadmap in 2025 (that's my guess).

This thread is closed