AppServerProcess used as a processQueue service

Posted by goo on 04-Feb-2018 07:40

Would it be ok to use a Appserver process like a queuespowner ? 

Is there anything I should look up for regarding this?

Like:

myAppserver process:    -pf xxxxx.pf -p checkQueue.p

checkQueue.p

:

repeat:

for each .....:

run somestuff...

end.

pause 4.

end.

All Replies

Posted by Mike Fechner on 04-Feb-2018 10:58

An AppServer does not use a startup procedure like that.

What kind of queue?

What's wrong with a batch process?

For remote monitoring: ANT, PCT and Jenkins.

Sent from Nine

Von: goo <bounce-goo@community.progress.com>
Gesendet: Sonntag, 4. Februar 2018 14:41
An: TU.OE.General@community.progress.com
Betreff: [Technical Users - OE General] AppServerProcess used as a processQueue service

Update from Progress Community
goo

Would it be ok to use a Appserver process like a queuespowner ? 

Is there anything I should look up for regarding this?

Like:

myAppserver process:    -pf xxxxx.pf -p checkQueue.p

checkQueue.p

:

repeat:

for each .....:

run somestuff...

end.

pause 4.

end.

View online

You received this notification because you subscribed to the forum.  To stop receiving updates from only this thread, go here.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

Posted by Patrick Tingen on 04-Feb-2018 13:11

I'm with Mike in that I think that a batch process is more suited towards queue processing. An appserver is more like having 'extra power', keeping away db connections from client processes and that sort of thing. Does not mean you couldn't do it I guess, but what makes you think an AS is the best solution for this? Multi threading?

Posted by goo on 04-Feb-2018 13:36

Earlier I have used a window process or a batch process, but I was thinking that it could be easy implementing this kind of process. It is supposed to check a table for jobs, and run the job. I understand that it would be kind of wrong doing this, since the process is locked to one kind of task. I was just curious if it was possible. Either with a repeat: pause n. loop, or a wait-for with a pause n.

I would probably be bether of using a process runing as a window service.

Posted by Tony on 04-Feb-2018 15:05

We did something simular with an AS for the same reason. Except we ran our .p as part of the "Startup procedure" for the agent. The AS status was always in the "Starting" state, which didn't concern us. Like Goo, we had it scan a table for jobs to process. we got it to terminate by placing a spceific record in the table.

Not the best approach, but it avioded havng someone being responsible for maintaining scheduled tasks or services.

Posted by Roger Blanchard on 05-Feb-2018 06:36

We used the AS for something similar. Basically, process spinning on JMSMessage table that was responsible for sending the messages to SonicMQ. Instead of our startup procedure calling the process on the same session it would connect to another AS broker and call the process ASYNC. This way the startup broker would show that it had started.

We recently toyed with a windows service that was responsible for starting/stopping an OE session via ZeroMQ. While this worked the OE session could not interact with the desktop as it was started from a windows service. This means that we were not able to use Notify Icons, etc.

Posted by marian.edu on 05-Feb-2018 07:14

I understand that it would be kind of wrong doing this, since the process is locked to one kind of task.

You’ll get an application server in a ’starting’ state that will essentially just do the same thing you can do with a plain do loop in progress to start a number of batch processes, there are certainly better ways to use an application server especially if the number of licenses are scarce :)

Either with a repeat: pause n. loop, or a wait-for with a pause n.

Since there is no UI and a server socket can’t be used there what will you be waiting for? Pause/sleep it’s something else, this is what I call ‘enterprise’ software… it just takes breaks now and then :)

Definitively, running a batch Progress process through Windows services is not as hard as it sounds.

Marian Edu

Acorn IT 
www.acorn-it.com
www.akera.io
+40 740 036 212

On 4 Feb 2018, at 21:38, goo <bounce-goo@community.progress.com> wrote:

Update from Progress Community

goo

Earlier I have used a window process or a batch process, but I was thinking that it could be easy implementing this kind of process. It is supposed to check a table for jobs, and run the job. I understand that it would be kind of wrong doing this, since the process is locked to one kind of task. I was just curious if it was possible. Either with a repeat: pause n. loop, or a wait-for with a pause n.

View online

You received this notification because you subscribed to the forum.  To unsubscribe from only this thread, go here.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

Posted by goo on 05-Feb-2018 07:46

Thanks &#128522;

//Geir Otto

Posted by Peter Judge on 05-Feb-2018 07:48

A note for those using PASOE – this will not work there: the instance will not start if the agents don’t move beyond ‘starting’.

Posted by Roger Blanchard on 05-Feb-2018 07:50

Yep, we found that out the hard way. I believe in 11.7.2 something was added to allow for the same type of functionality. We discussed with Mike Jacobs and he has sent us a write up on it...just have not tried it yet.

Posted by GregHiggins on 07-Feb-2018 09:51

No, and yes. Stop thinking about the AppServer processing the queue (BAD) and start thinking about the AppServer processing the queue message (GOOD).  I disagree with the consensus on batch mode, I like to integrate queue (and such) listeners into all sorts of things, including live console apps, so I design all my listeners (queue, socket, sonic, ... ) to be event driven. For times when it really is running in background, I use a headless UI wrapper.  

Posted by goo on 09-Feb-2018 06:12

Aaah nice to know &#128522; they are upgrading to latest version.

This thread is closed