Is there a faster way to shut down a database than proshut

Posted by slacroixak on 25-Jan-2018 12:16

I am doing some tests that require to stop and restart a database pretty often so I'd be happy to be able to stop it fast.

I was told in the past by some PSC mates to use   proshut <mydb> -F -by    but it still takes about 30s to complete.  Is there a known convenient way to kill it faster? (other than finding all PID's and kill them all)

Indeed, on the other hand one can start a database in less than a sec with a simple proserve.  I would make sense to be able to kill it in the same fashion, wouldn't it?

Thanks

/S

Posted by slacroixak on 01-Feb-2018 01:56

Hmmm, perhaps the solution was too simple:

proshut -F -by    takes about 33s to complete.  

proshut -by         takes just about 6s to complete.  

=>  So I should just have tried to not use -F , at least for a first attempt.

Posted by slacroixak on 01-Feb-2018 02:00

The answer was too simple after all...  for this pretty idel DB:

proshut -F -by   takes 33s to complete

proshut -by       takes  6s to complete.

I should just have tried to not use -F, at least for a first attempt.

Posted by slacroixak on 01-Feb-2018 06:45

(bizarre I've posted something this morning, but its seems to be lost.)

My progress version is 11.6.2

Finally, I believe I have found out the answer.  A bit too simple to be honest...

proshut -F -by    takes about 33s to complete

proshut -by  (no -F) takes only 6s

So, my mistake was to use -F systematically, perhaps because I had seen a DBA doing this way in the past.

Indeed, if the DB is idle, with few connections and no transaction, then a simple proshut is capable of shutting it rather quickly  (I'm happy with 6s indeed).  Doing -F seems to do a lot more, for nuts.  Never mind, now I will wait a bit before using that -F option.

Posted by slacroixak on 01-Feb-2018 06:46

Finally, I believe I have found out the answer.  A bit too simple to be honest...

So, my mistake was to use -F systematically, perhaps because I had seen a DBA doing this way in the past.

Indeed, if the DB is idle, with few connections and no transaction, then a simple proshut is capable of shutting it rather quickly  (I'm happy with 6s indeed).  Doing -F seems to do a lot more, for nuts.  Never mind, now I will wait a bit before using that -F option.

All Replies

Posted by Akshay Guleria on 31-Jan-2018 01:38

I'll try to explain this in very simplistic manner. It is the state that matters in starting and stopping a DB, so shutting a DB will always take more time.

1. When starting a DB, the DB is at rest, not accessible and hence there are no ongoing transaction and/or activities being performed on it. So the amount of verification and validation needed to start the DB are very minimal (comparably).

2. When stopping a DB, the DB is active and there is lot of activity going on. The shutdown command needs to make sure that all those activities are either finished or rolled back in full before the DB can be stopped, resulting in a consistent DB state.

Posted by George Potemkin on 31-Jan-2018 02:09

In theory it should be better to allow for all processes to undo their transactions when db shutdown is initiated. Otherwise they will be rolled by in single threaded mode by broker at next db startup. So the -F option to shut db down can be a bad choice. Though I did not verify this in the tests.

BTW, we can easy get the time of crash recovery at db startup. It's the difference between broker login time and db startup time:

FOR FIRST DICTDB._DbStatus NO-LOCK,
    FIRST DICTDB._Connect  NO-LOCK
    WHERE DICTDB._Connect._Connect-Id EQ 1:
 DISPLAY  DICTDB._Connect._Connect-Time
          DICTDB._DbStatus._DbStatus-LastOpen
 WITH SIDE-LABELS 1 DOWN.
END.

or the interval between the messages:
BROKER 0: (333) Multi-user session begin.
BROKER 0: (10471) Database connections have been enabled.

Posted by Valeriy Bashkatov on 31-Jan-2018 02:13

I agree with Akshay.

And I'll add a little bit that you can try using the -shutdownTimeout parameter with the PROSHUT utility.

From the OpenEdge documentation:

[quote]

-shutdownTimeout [ immed | maximum |n[ h | m | s]]
Specifies the amount of time for normal database activity to stop and users be disconnected before
immediately shutting down (killing users still connected). If all normal activity ceases before the
timeout value is reached, normal shutdown proceeds. If not specified, the default is 10 minutes. 

[/quote]

However, keep in mind that those transactions that do not have time to rollback by the time the database is stopped still require time to rollback during the next start of database.

Posted by George Potemkin on 31-Jan-2018 02:36

-shutdownTimeout immed

Shutdown occurs in approximately 60 seconds, regardless of transaction backout status

proshut -F waits only 5 seconds:

[2018/01/31@11:27:45.893+0300] P-3644       T-8376  I SHUT    5: (452)   Login by George on CON:. 
[2018/01/31@11:27:45.893+0300] P-3644       T-8376  I SHUT    5: (-----) Warning: The Force Access (-F) option has been specified.
[2018/01/31@11:27:45.903+0300] P-3644       T-8376  I SHUT    5: (5316)  Emergency shutdown initiated... 
[2018/01/31@11:27:50.907+0300] P-3644       T-8376  I SHUT    5: (2250)  Database killed by George on CON: 
[2018/01/31@11:27:51.407+0300] P-8936       T-7824  I BROKER  0: (453)   Logout by George on CON:. 
[2018/01/31@11:27:52.408+0300] P-8936       T-7824  I BROKER   : (334)   Multi-user session end. 
[2018/01/31@11:28:18.920+0300] P-3644       T-8376  I SHUT     : (334)   Multi-user session end. 

Both options mean: "kill the processes even if they are still rolling back their transactions".

Posted by slacroixak on 31-Jan-2018 10:20

Thank you for all your posts Sirs.  I understand very well that in case of opened transactions it is expected to take time to shut down a DB.

However, in my tests, I just do not start any transaction, and I even play with one single User.

To tell you all, I am working at solving an old interesting problem : our App works with a main DB, and an additional DB rather rarely.  Until now, for this 2nd DB, our guys used to apply the following pattern ;

1-connect,  2-do-something   3-disconnect.  

I'd like to stop that and keep long term connections for performance sake (let alone the log file), but some like the ability to be able to shut down that additional DB without causing error 778 and 735 (error reading socket etc...) in the client sessions when it is not used, which I like the idea.

=> don't make me wrong, for the main DB with long term DB bound code, I know very well there is no way to do that and it is fine.

Now, it seems that I have found a reliable way to catch and handle these errors 778 and 735 as long as we keep the connection quite (not DB bound .r code kept in memory, nor any dynamic buffer, and of course no transaction).

As I am testing this, I need to often stop and restart this local 2nd DB of mine, a DB that has a very tiny activity (just one single quick read), then I started to wonder whether it would it be possible to reduce these long 30s for a simple shutdown

Could it be faster if I start the DB with a small value for some parameters ?  (-L  -B etc...)

TIA

Posted by slacroixak on 01-Feb-2018 01:56

Hmmm, perhaps the solution was too simple:

proshut -F -by    takes about 33s to complete.  

proshut -by         takes just about 6s to complete.  

=>  So I should just have tried to not use -F , at least for a first attempt.

Posted by slacroixak on 01-Feb-2018 02:00

The answer was too simple after all...  for this pretty idel DB:

proshut -F -by   takes 33s to complete

proshut -by       takes  6s to complete.

I should just have tried to not use -F, at least for a first attempt.

Posted by George Potemkin on 01-Feb-2018 02:09

> proshut -F -by   takes 33s to complete

Progress version?

Proshut -F sets a shutdown flag in shared memory and then waits a few second before it start killing the processes (if they are still connected to a database). The timeout is not tunable and it can depend from Progress version (but I'm not 100% sure).

Posted by slacroixak on 01-Feb-2018 06:45

Posted by slacroixak on 01-Feb-2018 06:46

Posted by slacroixak on 01-Feb-2018 06:51

[bizarre I keep trying posting something since this morning, but it keeps vanishing]

Finally, I believe I have found out the answer.  A bit too simple to be honest:

Posted by OctavioOlguin on 01-Feb-2018 09:07

(I get this same bizarre behave of forum... when posting frantically... all post won't remain .. as amatter of fact, only the first post remain.)javascript:void(0);

Posted by OctavioOlguin on 01-Feb-2018 09:10

you see what I mean?  that void(0) isn't mine  (last one is first time in my life I write void(0) ... so this is second ;)

This thread is closed