PASOE: Publish REST project from PDSOE to one of multiple A

Posted by dbeavon on 26-Dec-2017 11:49

I have been experiencing trouble publishing from PDSOE to the desired ABL application (one of several applications).  It ignores my ABL application selection, and seems to always publish to the "oepas1" application.

By using the tcman deploy command, I'm able to get some better, more consistent results.   That is currently my work-around.

More Info: I publish by registering a progress app server in the "servers" view and then use the "Add and Remove" command to include my REST project.  When initially registering the new application server instance, it does prompt me for the abl application, but then it subsequently ignores my selection and always publishes my projects to "oepas1".  Is there some way I can turn on some additional logging from PDSOE and see what its thinking?  I think a lot more work needs to be done to improve the integration between PDSOE and PASOE.  Also, I'm under the assumption that this concept of "multiple ABL applications" in a single instance was something that was introduced a lot more recently than some of the tooling that had already been created for PASOE.  The tools are sometimes flaky in the presence of multiple ABL applications.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks, David

Posted by dbeavon on 06-Jan-2018 18:53

I believe I may have found the answer to the problems with PDSOE and its inability to deploy a webapp to the specified ABL application.  I believe that I was re-using the same name of a webapp that I had previously deployed (and undeployed) at an earlier time.  

Any future deploy operation that used the same webapp name was failing because the "openedge.properties" file (in conf folder) still had some remnants of configuration that had not been properly cleaned.  These remnants may have been detected, and caused the operation to use the wrong ABL application (the default one instead of the one that was specified).  

Anyway this is my best guess at this time.  My workaround involves manually cleaning out the offending portions of "openedge.properties" that are not needed anymore after "undeploying" a webapp.  I've also avoided using PDSOE as much as possible in favor of tcman deploy/undeploy commands (from the proenv command line).

All Replies

Posted by dbeavon on 06-Jan-2018 18:53

I believe I may have found the answer to the problems with PDSOE and its inability to deploy a webapp to the specified ABL application.  I believe that I was re-using the same name of a webapp that I had previously deployed (and undeployed) at an earlier time.  

Any future deploy operation that used the same webapp name was failing because the "openedge.properties" file (in conf folder) still had some remnants of configuration that had not been properly cleaned.  These remnants may have been detected, and caused the operation to use the wrong ABL application (the default one instead of the one that was specified).  

Anyway this is my best guess at this time.  My workaround involves manually cleaning out the offending portions of "openedge.properties" that are not needed anymore after "undeploying" a webapp.  I've also avoided using PDSOE as much as possible in favor of tcman deploy/undeploy commands (from the proenv command line).

Posted by bronco on 08-Jan-2018 04:58

What server platform are you using? I've been experiencing this as well and my gut feeling is that this kind of stuff happens more on Windows than Linux. No hard evidence though...

Posted by dbeavon on 08-Jan-2018 07:18

It was happening while publishing webapps from PDSOE on Windows to the local instance of PASOE.  It would simply ignore the selection of the ABL application (in the server definition).  But tcman seems to work reliably.

This thread is closed