Deserialization constructors?

Posted by beefhealy on 21-Nov-2017 06:37

Hi folks,

I've read this section from the development guide and can't infer anything from it other than "OpenEdge looks after it" - but I'm presuming there is no such thing as a deserialization constructor for serialized objects passed across the AppServer boundary? If not - anyone aware of any plans to introduce such a construct?

Thanks! 

Posted by Laura Stern on 21-Nov-2017 08:11

I assume you mean a constructor that is called to reconstitute an object that has been serialized, in a custom manner.  There were ideas about providing hooks for customization of serialization/deserialization.  I don't remember exactly what form they would take but I don't think we specifically discussed a special constructor.   Regardless, I don't believe this functionality is high up in our backlog list, at the moment.

All Replies

Posted by Laura Stern on 21-Nov-2017 08:11

I assume you mean a constructor that is called to reconstitute an object that has been serialized, in a custom manner.  There were ideas about providing hooks for customization of serialization/deserialization.  I don't remember exactly what form they would take but I don't think we specifically discussed a special constructor.   Regardless, I don't believe this functionality is high up in our backlog list, at the moment.

Posted by beefhealy on 21-Nov-2017 09:11

Hi Laura,

Yes that's exactly what I'm talking about. :)

No problem - thanks for coming back to me.

Posted by Peter Judge on 21-Nov-2017 10:20

Just out of curiosity, what are you looking to do in the (de)serialization constructor?

Posted by beefhealy on 22-Nov-2017 05:52

I'm storing instance data in a dataset rather than member variables. It would be nice to bring the relevant underlying temp-table record(s) into scope automatically when an object is being de-serialized after it has been received by the called procedure... 

This thread is closed