Infrastructure question

Posted by goo on 24-Sep-2017 11:33

Developing on windows 10, having a linux (ubuntu) server. Developing both webspeed and webclient application. 

What options do I have to transfere my servercode to the linux? is it either NFS or FTP ? Or have we an option within Eclipse / OpenEdge to transport files to server? If so, where to find documentation?

I would like to  make it easy :-)

//Geir Otto

Posted by goo on 25-Sep-2017 12:29

I thought Eclipse/OpenEdge had some tool for that, but anyway, I will go for the samba way for now :-)

Thanks !!

All Replies

Posted by cverbiest on 25-Sep-2017 09:07

some options in no particular order

winscp can be used from the commandline, so it should be possible to automate using that.

winscp.net/.../commandline

samba can be used to make ubuntu folder shared for windows

smbclient can be used to mount windows shares on linux, best use autofs to mount  if you choose this way

Posted by jankeir on 25-Sep-2017 09:15

I think the best way to do this is to use version control and automated deployment. Think git, jenkins and pct. Once setup it will be very easy (so you'll have made it easy which was the question.) Setting it up might have a bit of a learning curve though, although you could always ask Gilles Querret to do it for you if you can't be bothered with learning all the details/pitfalls  yourself.

Posted by Peter Judge on 25-Sep-2017 09:26

PDSOE has the ability to  Publish ABL code to an AppServer (Classic or PASOE).

Posted by Peter Judge on 25-Sep-2017 09:26

But in my mind that is ONLY  for dev. For QA etc you should follow the CI/CD advice.

Posted by Jeff Ledbetter on 25-Sep-2017 10:40

FWIW, Roundtable has some cool tools for this:

1. The server upload tool to push your changes to your appserver / web server (best for dev testing)

2. Workspace imports to pull/assign changes into your downstream QA and Prod environments.

This can be automated as well.

Posted by goo on 25-Sep-2017 12:29

I thought Eclipse/OpenEdge had some tool for that, but anyway, I will go for the samba way for now :-)

Thanks !!

This thread is closed