Background color to a button

Posted by ezequielmontoya on 14-Sep-2017 14:52

Hello, I just tried to set background color to a button and I noticed this:

We use Windows 8.1 and OpenEdge 11.6.3 but I can't set background color to my button, and the message still says I can`t do it because I use Windows XP.

I found this KB article http://knowledgebase.progress.com/articles/Article/P8351 , but it says the problem goes until Progress 9.X and, as I said, we are in 11.6.3

Is there a known solution?

Posted by Matt Gilarde on 14-Sep-2017 15:01

The message is poorly worded. You can't change the background color of a standard button on Windows. The message is showing the value of SESSION:WINDOW-SYSTEM, which is "MS-WINXP" for all versions of Windows. We didn't change it when the next version of Windows came along because many people had written code checking against "MS-WINXP" and changing it would break their code.

But, again, you can't change the background color of a button regardless of what version of Windows you're using.

All Replies

Posted by Matt Gilarde on 14-Sep-2017 15:01

The message is poorly worded. You can't change the background color of a standard button on Windows. The message is showing the value of SESSION:WINDOW-SYSTEM, which is "MS-WINXP" for all versions of Windows. We didn't change it when the next version of Windows came along because many people had written code checking against "MS-WINXP" and changing it would break their code.

But, again, you can't change the background color of a button regardless of what version of Windows you're using.

Posted by ezequielmontoya on 15-Sep-2017 16:41

I suspected it from the beginning! (¡lo sospeché desde un principio!), as a dear TV character said when I was a kid, long time ago.

Thank you, Matt.

Posted by ezequielmontoya on 18-Sep-2017 11:23

I think the article in knowledgebase.progress.com/.../P8351 needs to be updated.

Who can I say that to?

Posted by Ken McIntosh on 18-Sep-2017 11:32

Hi Ezequiel,

At the bottom of each article there is a question "Was this article helpful?".  If you answer No to that question you can add comments to it suggesting what's wrong with it.

Best Regards,

Ken McIntosh

Posted by ezequielmontoya on 18-Sep-2017 12:18
This thread is closed