10.2B retirement date

Posted by cverbiest on 14-Jun-2017 03:48

A colleague who went to ProgressNext  heard there 10.2B will be discontinued in 2018. I don't know in which session.

https://community.progress.com/community_groups/openedge_general/w/openedgegeneral/1501.openedge-product-availability-guides-and-life-cycle-guide shows "tbd" (to be discussed ?)

I'd think that if it is currently "to be discussed" it cannot be 2018.

Did my colleague misinterpret something he heard ?

What is the earliest retirement date for 10.2B , given that it is still tbd at the moment ?

Posted by James Palmer on 14-Jun-2017 04:38

Progress have always only actively supported the last 2 major releases, so in theory this should not come as a surprise. The reason it does, is probably because so many people are on 10.2B.

The official line (from Kevin Aspindall at a UK PUG event earlier in the year), is that in theory support will be discontinued with the advent of 12, but in practise the line will be much more blurred. (my paraphrase) Probably this is due to the sheer volume of users on 10.2B.

That being said, there is likely to be around 12 months of 10.2B support to be relied upon, therefore you should be planning your upgrade strategy now.

Posted by Rob Fitzpatrick on 14-Jun-2017 08:10

Latest I've heard, from the recent PUG Challenge Americas conference, is that OE 12 is planned for 1H 2018.  So I would hazard a guess that it will ship a year from now, assuming things go according to plan.

"Retired" doesn't mean "unsupported".  It does mean no more service packs or hotfixes, and that support is on a best-effort basis.  But as long as you are on a maintenance contract you are entitled to support.  

That said, anyone on 10.x or earlier should be actively planning to upgrade to a modern release.

All Replies

Posted by George Potemkin on 14-Jun-2017 03:55

I heard: "10.2B will be retired when OE version 12 comes out, sometime at the end of the year".

Posted by cverbiest on 14-Jun-2017 04:09

Hi George,

thank you. that is probably the message my colleague got.

What will be the impact concerning tech support once it's retired ?

Does that imply it will no longer be supported ?

Posted by James Palmer on 14-Jun-2017 04:38

Progress have always only actively supported the last 2 major releases, so in theory this should not come as a surprise. The reason it does, is probably because so many people are on 10.2B.

The official line (from Kevin Aspindall at a UK PUG event earlier in the year), is that in theory support will be discontinued with the advent of 12, but in practise the line will be much more blurred. (my paraphrase) Probably this is due to the sheer volume of users on 10.2B.

That being said, there is likely to be around 12 months of 10.2B support to be relied upon, therefore you should be planning your upgrade strategy now.

Posted by Rob Fitzpatrick on 14-Jun-2017 08:10

Latest I've heard, from the recent PUG Challenge Americas conference, is that OE 12 is planned for 1H 2018.  So I would hazard a guess that it will ship a year from now, assuming things go according to plan.

"Retired" doesn't mean "unsupported".  It does mean no more service packs or hotfixes, and that support is on a best-effort basis.  But as long as you are on a maintenance contract you are entitled to support.  

That said, anyone on 10.x or earlier should be actively planning to upgrade to a modern release.

Posted by cverbiest on 15-Jun-2017 04:14

Thanks to all

This thread is closed