Can C++ access and work with an AppServer and ABL procedures

Posted by Rus Paul-Adrian on 24-May-2017 05:30

A friend of mine is planning on working on a C++ app and he needs a database and a server.

Can a C++ application connect to an AppServer, get datasets from it and interpret the datasets?

Posted by Paul Koufalis on 24-May-2017 05:40

PASOE is a new product that will eventually replace the classic AppServer. Functionality is essentially the same but the underlying architecture is different.

All Replies

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 24-May-2017 05:34

What AppServer (classic or PASOE)?

For classic, maybe, if they can use .NET assemblies.

For PASOE, yes, via REST, Web Services or .NET assemblies and there may be other options as well.

Posted by Rus Paul-Adrian on 24-May-2017 05:37

What is the difference between classic and PASOE? I have always created my AppServer from localhost:9090.

Posted by Paul Koufalis on 24-May-2017 05:38

What version of Progress?

In 11, you can use REST and Web Services with the classic Apsv,

Posted by Paul Koufalis on 24-May-2017 05:40

PASOE is a new product that will eventually replace the classic AppServer. Functionality is essentially the same but the underlying architecture is different.

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 24-May-2017 05:43

Classic AppServer is the AppServer that has existed for many years now (i.e. _proapsv.exe executables).

PASOE (Progress Application Server for OpenEdge) is the new, next generation platform that is based on Tomcat.  It provides full security through Spring, multi-session agents (think threading) and the ability to have those agents be able to handle WebApps, REST, Web Services and “classic style” ABL application calls all at the same time.

Posted by Peter Judge on 24-May-2017 08:12

Just a note on Brian’s “threading” comment. You should *NOT* think threading from within the ABL. The multi-threaded nature of the agent is (to a degree) an implementation detail.

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 24-May-2017 08:16

Peter is correct on that.  Sorry for any confusion.  The ABL itself is not threaded.

This thread is closed