AppServer and NameServer won't start in Windows 10 Creat

Posted by Ibrahim Shahatit on 10-May-2017 23:43

Hi guys,

We are upgrading the workstations' OS from Windows 10 Anniversary Update to Creators Update (Build 1703).

After the upgrade, we have noticed that no AppServer or NameServer can be started with no logs at all, they just fail to start.

We have tried that with OpenEdge 10.2B SP08 and 11.6 SP03 use Proenv and OE Explorer.

Reverting to Windows 10 Anniversary Update has resolved the issue straight away.

I'm wondering if anyone is having the same issue and if there is a workaround?

Thanks.

Posted by spandau66 on 11-May-2017 06:27

Hi Ibrahim,

I encountered the exact same issue.

try the following:

progresscustomersupport-survey.secure.force.com/.../ubroker-java-processes-fail-to-start-after-windows-10-creators-update-is-installed

In my solution, I use proenv to manually start Admin Services

proadsv -start

and then start my broker and app server

asbman -name appservername -start

Not ideal, but at least I can run my AppServer's

Martyn

Posted by Ibrahim Shahatit on 24-May-2017 00:26

Ok, I have an update on this issue.

I have installed OpenEdge 11.7 x86 and I can confirm that I need to use both workaround 2 and workaround 3 to start AppServer successfully.

Workaround 2:

Start the AdminServer from the command line with proadsv

Workaround 3:

Copy the jvmstart command from the AdminServer log file  and execute it from the proenv command line

Running AdminService as my own account didn't work for me (I always setup AdminService this way anyway to allow access to resources over the network).

I have no workaround for OpenEdge 10.2B08 though...

All Replies

Posted by spandau66 on 11-May-2017 06:27

Hi Ibrahim,

try the following:

progresscustomersupport-survey.secure.force.com/.../ubroker-java-processes-fail-to-start-after-windows-10-creators-update-is-installed

In my solution, I use proenv to manually start Admin Services

proadsv -start

and then start my broker and app server

asbman -name appservername -start

Not ideal, but at least I can run my AppServer's

Martyn

Posted by tpavlovic on 11-May-2017 06:41

Me too. And I even upgraded to 11.7 with the same result. KB's workaround #1 is out of the question. Also 11.7 AppService complains about killAgentAfterTimeout property in the ubroker.properties file. So there is probably nothing we can do until some future Service Pack fixes it.

Posted by Ibrahim Shahatit on 11-May-2017 06:47

Guys,

Thank you very much for your replies... I haven't spotted that knowledge base article before.

One strange thing happened though, I have OE10 x86, OE11 x86, OE11 x64 installed on that workstation (with all ports configured properly) and I was able to start AppServer for the OE11 x86 installation successfully, but only once.

I wonder if the same applies for Windows Server 2016 with the latest patches... maybe not...

Posted by Ibrahim Shahatit on 15-May-2017 21:19

I have been trying to use Workaround 2:

Start the Adminserver from the command line with proadsv

AdminService starts but I keep getting the below error:

AppServer won't start.

Posted by Srinivas Munigala on 16-May-2017 00:36

Hi Ibrahim,

Can you stop all the java processes once and try starting the AdminServer and AppServer ?

Hope, this fixes the issue.

Thanks,

Srinivas Munigala

Posted by Ibrahim Shahatit on 16-May-2017 01:29

Hi Srinivas,

I have tried that, unfortunately it didn't work. I get the Java error message as soon as I try to start the AppServer from Proenv.

Posted by SJProgress on 19-May-2017 02:19

Hi Ibrahim,

did you get a solution to this problem?? For me the workarounds from KB do not work (I only can start one appserver, but need several).

Are you in contact with TechSupport? Is there already a hotfix available?

Posted by Simon L. Prinsloo on 21-May-2017 04:07

Another solution that seems to work is to go to the service's Properties, select the Logon tab and change it from Local System Account to my own account. After restarting the server, everything seems to work as expected. (OpenEdge 11.7)

Regards

Simon

Posted by Ibrahim Shahatit on 21-May-2017 18:37

I haven't found a solution at all, none of the workarounds are working, i just keep getting the Java error I mentioned earlier.

Posted by Ibrahim Shahatit on 21-May-2017 18:41

Hi Simon,

I'm downloading OE11.7 now, will see how that goes.

Thanks,

Ibrahim

Posted by Ibrahim Shahatit on 24-May-2017 00:26

Ok, I have an update on this issue.

I have installed OpenEdge 11.7 x86 and I can confirm that I need to use both workaround 2 and workaround 3 to start AppServer successfully.

Workaround 2:

Start the AdminServer from the command line with proadsv

Workaround 3:

Copy the jvmstart command from the AdminServer log file  and execute it from the proenv command line

Running AdminService as my own account didn't work for me (I always setup AdminService this way anyway to allow access to resources over the network).

I have no workaround for OpenEdge 10.2B08 though...

Posted by SJProgress on 24-May-2017 07:36

I have tested with OpenEdge 11.6.3 on Win 10 1703 and it looks like I can start an appservers with just workaround 3 "execute jvmStart from proenv - as admin" - I do not need workaround 2.

First I thought my system hangs, but pressing ENTER (maybe several times) then give the following messages:

!+0099%processid 8756

!+0099%Successfully started

!+0099%completed

ubroker : v11.6.0 (06-Oct-2015)

Running appservers are not fully recognized in OpenEdge Explorer; in ressources view they show up as "not running", but in detail view they Show up as "ACTIVE".

asbman -i appservvername -query/stop works OK.

We really urgently need a solution to this major problem. Progress TechSupport is not helping much so far. So maybe make some pressure on them too, if you need a solution. They downgraded my issue I opened to "not that important".

Posted by Ibrahim Shahatit on 24-May-2017 23:31

I have tried with 11.6.3 but I kept getting the Java error, same for OE102SP8. I gave up on Progress support long time ago... Their solutions are similar to when you call your telco and then get asked to reboot the router...

Did you reinstall OpenEdge after upgrading to Creator's update?

Posted by Tai Li on 25-May-2017 00:52

FYI, I had OE10.2B0800 installed on Windows 10, after upgrade to Creators Update (Build 1703) still able to run successfully.

Edit: From OE Explorer, I am able to start up NameServer, but not Broker. No log generated.

Posted by carlosr on 25-May-2017 05:39

Hi,

I have been trying to use Workaround 2:

Start the Adminserver from the command line with proadsv

AdminService starts but I keep getting the below error:

java.exe error (0xc000142)

NameServer won´t start.

AppServer won't start.

what can i do?

Workaround 1 discarded, without restauration point .

Posted by gus bjorklund on 25-May-2017 08:44
Posted by Ibrahim Shahatit on 26-May-2017 01:04

I have just reinstalled OE10.2B SP8... I started OE Management Service from Proenv, and I was able to start AppServer from OE Explorer. This really random, I have tried that before and it wouldn't work... now it is working fine.

Posted by Paul Connaughton on 26-May-2017 11:16

Hi Ibrahim,

As the article above indicates this is known issue and we have been working on a fix. I tried to open a support case for you but I cannot find a 10.2B serial number under your account. I'd recommend opening a case over the phone or through the support portal so that we can provide you with a fix when it is available. We can also work through this with you to confirm it is the same issue (sure sounds like it is). If you want to provide me with your 10.2B serial number I can open it on your behalf. If you do not want to share that serial number in this public forum feel free to email me directly, pconnaug@progress.com

-Paul

Posted by Tai Li on 23-Jul-2017 23:21

Windows 10 (Version 1703, Build: 15063.483) seems to resolve the AppServer startup issue. :)

This thread is closed